Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse Children

Hi There
    I am trying to solve a mystery if any one can help I believe there is a possibility that my G,G,Grandmother was a workhouse girl
    Mary Currie was born 1830 Carlton Glasgow Scotland to Hugh and Margaret Currie who I believe were Irish, Mary came to Australia on the Government Bounty Scheme organized by John Miller possible her father's brother-in-law from his second marriage, Mary came with 2 other boys John Rodgers and John Walsh from Carlton under the protection of Walter Anderson and Family they sailed from Greenock on 12th of october 1841 arriving in Sydney Australia on the 15th of Febuary 1842 on aboard the Sarah Botsford.
    shipping records states that Mary was 17 years nobody certified Batism and going on Documents from Mary's marriage and birth of her children Mary was only 11 or 12 years old when she came to Australia. I am not sure if they had Workhouse in Scotland
    and I also notice Walter Anderson left Sydney on 15th April 1842 bound for Sincapore
    I would like to know if there are are any Records available to verify my suppicion
    ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 18-03-11, 11:18.

This is the link to Rossbret's Scotland page: http://www.institutions.org.uk/workh...d/Scotland.htm

There is more about Workhouses in our Poor Law and Workhouses page in the Reference Library which may give you some help generally.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline
      thank you for your quick response I will see how I go
      ossiegirl

Comment

Working...
      X