Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a cradle roll ?

As per the subject header.
    Just found a cradle roll certificate for my late mother and wondered what it is ?
    Kind regards......John

Last edited by john_harvey; 17-03-11, 19:45.

seems to have something to do with Sunday school - just googling for some more info
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks Vikki, Just added the image...John

Comment

Ok, it seems it is given when a child (usually a baby) is presented to the church (various christian denominations seem to use them)
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
          Ok, it seems it is given when a child (usually a baby) is presented to the church (various christian denominations seem to use them)
          Thanks Vikki...

Comment

I have my one and I was entered into the Church's cradle roll on my Christening.
            I notice that the one you have has the baby at a couple of months old - just about correct for a Christening.
            I expect it was to encourage the parents to take the child to Sunday school as soon as he/she was old enough.
            Last edited by herky; 17-03-11, 20:09.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

A friend of mine had her baby added to the Cradle Roll at her church. She is Salvation Army.

Comment

It is when a baby is christened or dedicated.
                Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                  It is when a baby is christened or dedicated.
                  Ah right thanks Joy, I wondered if it was for a christening.
                  Regards......John

Comment

My son was dedicated (instead of christening) in the Baptist church and was then put on the 'cradle roll' until he was old enough to go to Sunday school there.
                    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

The Methodist Church used to have a printed poster-sized Cradle Roll proforma that could be framed and hung on the wall, usually in the Sunday School room. Names were added to it each time a child was baptised. My younger daughter's name is at the top of the first one for the church which opened just before she was born. Our elder daughter was baptised in the Victorian chapel which was bulldozed as part of a local redevelopment.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X