Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred John Alexander-Where are you?

Hi All.
    My 3x Great Uncle is a bit of a mystery......
    He was born Middlesex/ London around 1866,his father was Thomas Alexander
    I have everything on Alfred from 1881 onwards & also including his marriage in Cardiff to Jane Ellen [nee Tremlett] Ramson.
    I can't find Alfred or his family on the 1871 census..........
    Can anyone find him?
    Thanks,
    Kaz.
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Could this be him?

John is said to be married (but there's no wife) and he's a Solicitor's General Clerk.

1871 England Census
    Alfred I Alexander born c 1866 Low Kenngt Lane, Surrey
    Father -John Alexander
    Living in Lambeth
    Household:
    John Alexander age 26
    Alfred I Alexander age 5

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 663; Folio: 110; Page: 30; GSU roll: 823321.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-03-11, 14:01. Reason: Post edited - please do not copy and paste directly from sites such as Ancestry as it is against our Ts and Cs
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
      Could this be him?

John is said to be married (but there's no wife) and he's a Solicitor's General Clerk.

1871 England Census
      Name:Alfred I Alexanderborn c 1866 Low Kenngt Lane, Surrey
      Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 663; Folio: 110; Page: 30; GSU roll: 823321.
      Hi
      Thanks for this,i have already checked this one out & it's not him as my Alfred's father was Thomas
      Kaz.

Comment

Jane Ellen's name seems to be Ramson. Had she been married before?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you got Alfred's father/parents in 1871 then and are just wondering why Alfred isn't with them?
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Jane Ellen's name seems to be Ramson. Had she been married before?
            Hi Chrissy,Yes Jane had been married beofre her maiden name was Tremlett.
            Kaz.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
              Have you got Alfred's father/parents in 1871 then and are just wondering why Alfred isn't with them?
              No i don't have Alfred with his family,i don't know why he isn't there????
              Kaz.

Comment

What is his mothers name please? Also, do you know when the parents died?

Comment

What is his mothers name please? Also, do you know when the parents died?
                  Hi Chrissie,
                  I don't know his mother's name only his father Thomas,i don't know anything else,don't know if there was any other children born
                  Thanks,
                  Kaz.

Comment

I presume you know his Father's name from his marriage cert. Have you searched the LMA on Ancestry for his baptism? I would be careful about accepting his Father as just Thomas as I have plenty who used different combinations of names at different times (and many came from Cardiff too!). What about his Father's occupation? Is he still alive when the marriage took place? Have you found Thomas on any subsequent census?

You can search the census by occupation on The Genealogist site (now available free at UK Family History Centres. I don't know if this is the case in Poland).

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                      I presume you know his Father's name from his marriage cert. Have you searched the LMA on Ancestry for his baptism? I would be careful about accepting his Father as just Thomas as I have plenty who used different combinations of names at different times (and many came from Cardiff too!). What about his Father's occupation? Is he still alive when the marriage took place? Have you found Thomas on any subsequent census?

You can search the census by occupation on The Genealogist site (now available free at UK Family History Centres. I don't know if this is the case in Poland).
                      Hi Pat.
                      I have tried everything i can think of to find them,i don't know if Thomas was still alive as Alfred didn't say he was deceased on his marriage cert. As to his father's occupation,i am waiting for my hubby known as 'yes dear' to finnish work in England & then to find the marriage cert & tell me what it is.........[i will be having all my tree transported over soon as i can]
                      There is nothing in Poland to help with family history,if there is,i don't know where it is & no one else seems to know.
                      Thanks,
                      Kaz.

Comment

This may, or may not, help you:
                        Family History Centers in Poland [refine search]

Warsaw Poland
                        st. Wolska 142
                        Warszawa, Warsaw, Poland
                        Phone: 48-022 836 1939
                        Hours: Tues- Fri 1000-2000, Sat 1000-1700
                        Warszawa Poland 1st
                        Ul. Wolska 142
                        Warszawa, Poland
                        Phone: 48-22-837-8126
                        Wroclaw Poland
                        UL. Wolnosci #7 Floor 2
                        Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland

I don't know where you are in Poland, it must be very difficult trying to do research other than online. However, the LDS site came up with the FHCs above. As mentioned in my pevious post, I am not certain if FHCs everywhere have the facility to use Premium sites free as it has only just happened in UK FHCs.

Perhaps someone on here uses The Genealogist at home?

I had a quick look at 1871 on Ancestry and noticed an Alfred Alexander with his Grandparents. That one was born in Camberwell, Surrey, but when looking at London births, I try all people born anywhere around what we now think of as the London area. Perhaps you could look at that one and see if the Grandparents had Thomas in the family in an earlier census? I was surprised haw many Alfred Alexanders there are in 1871 born within a few years of 1866. Also how many came up when searching the BMD for him.

I think it might be a process of elimination with finding all the children born with the right name around that time and systematically matching them up with a census. If you get as many Baptisms as you can for them from LMA, this will help with parents names. I do not have access to the LMA records as I only have basic Ancestry or I would start you off.

Have to sign off now and cook dinner. Will look back later to see if there has been any more progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                          This may, or may not, help you:
                          Family History Centers in Poland [refine search]

Warsaw Poland
                          st. Wolska 142
                          Warszawa, Warsaw, Poland
                          Phone: 48-022 836 1939
                          Hours: Tues- Fri 1000-2000, Sat 1000-1700
                          Warszawa Poland 1st
                          Ul. Wolska 142
                          Warszawa, Poland
                          Phone: 48-22-837-8126
                          Wroclaw Poland
                          UL. Wolnosci #7 Floor 2
                          Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland

I don't know where you are in Poland, it must be very difficult trying to do research other than online. However, the LDS site came up with the FHCs above. As mentioned in my pevious post, I am not certain if FHCs everywhere have the facility to use Premium sites free as it has only just happened in UK FHCs.

Perhaps someone on here uses The Genealogist at home?

I had a quick look at 1871 on Ancestry and noticed an Alfred Alexander with his Grandparents. That one was born in Camberwell, Surrey, but when looking at London births, I try all people born anywhere around what we now think of as the London area. Perhaps you could look at that one and see if the Grandparents had Thomas in the family in an earlier census? I was surprised haw many Alfred Alexanders there are in 1871 born within a few years of 1866. Also how many came up when searching the BMD for him.

I think it might be a process of elimination with finding all the children born with the right name around that time and systematically matching them up with a census. If you get as many Baptisms as you can for them from LMA, this will help with parents names. I do not have access to the LMA records as I only have basic Ancestry or I would start you off.

Have to sign off now and cook dinner. Will look back later to see if there has been any more progress.
                          Hi Pat,
                          Yes i found those are you mentioned it & i am about 800 miles away,so not an easy place to get to!
                          I also found that Alfred with his grand parents,but still not sure if they are the same family,perhaps Thomas died before Alfred was born???? I know my Alfred named his children Alfred John,Eva Violet,John Horace,Selena Rosina & Beatrice A. Perhaps one or more could of been named after his siblings also using his mother's name? I have tried looking for a family with these names & have not come across anything like them.
                          Kaz.
                          Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Comment

Well I'm stumped. I can't find Alfred John Alexander in either the England or Wales census in 1891 with wife Jane Ellen. Can you tell us how to find him in 1891 please. Also, in 1881, I can't find him before his marriage.
                            Perhaps if you could point us towards the census that you have found him in it might help us.

Comment

Well I'm stumped. I can't find Alfred John Alexander in either the England or Wales census in 1891 with wife Jane Ellen. Can you tell us how to find him in 1891 please. Also, in 1881, I can't find him before his marriage.
                              Perhaps if you could point us towards the census that you have found him in it might help us.

Hi Chrissie.
                              Here he is......

His wife is acutally Jane,her mother in law is also with them, Mary MIL at some point had remarried.
                              Kaz.

Comment

Just got 'Yes Dear' to send over Thomas's occupation he was a Stainer.
                                Still haven't found anything on either of them.
                                Kaz.

Comment

I had seen that one Kaz but it doesn't look like Jane at all, there is a tail on the last letter making it more like Mary.

Comment

I had seen that one Kaz but it doesn't look like Jane at all, there is a tail on the last letter making it more like Mary.
                                    I too ignored it for about a year!! ,but it was the address i eventually twigged on.... Slim but dim...lol !!!
                                    Kaz.

Comment

Not like me then Kaz - fat but dim

Comment

What name and occupation does it give for Jane's father on the cert Kaz? It wasn't Edwin a french polisher was it?

Comment

Working...
                                        X