Double birth registrations can happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double birth registrations can happen

Just been watching Heir Hunters, where a birth was actually registered in 2 different districts. So something that's not supposed to happen can happen. I'll have to go back to the recording to pick up further clues, but possibly the birthplace was on the border of 2 districts.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

I saw this too, UJ but I don't think it gave any explanation.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
      She commented that the father went to the wrong place first time.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline

I think that's just what the researcher THOUGHT - surely the registrar would have pointed out during the registration that it was the wrong office. I think when that happens normally the Registrar would pass the information to the correct district, but a birth can only be registered once.

OC

Comment

It was interesting to see this morning UJ how, just when it was looking hopeless because of the common name, a will gave the brothers name and opened it up.
          It just shows you should never give up.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
            I guess there'll always be those who live right on the border! The researcher did say she'd never come across it in 20 years of working there.

Anne

Comment

Is there a nosey parker here who wants to invest £18.50 to satisfy everyone's curiosity?

Comment

I'm not THAT curious UJ :D
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A lot of the registration districts around Shrewsbury were re-jigged in 1934/35 which I think was the time the birth was registered. I suppose there could have been a lot of confusion initially about where border properties fell, especially as the area has a lot of hamlets and individual rural cottages and farms. My Shropshire branch lived in a relatively small area but were registered both in Wem, Ellesmere and Atcham, the area I think they mentioned. In addition some Shropshire births do fall just over the Welsh border in Montgomeryshire, so plenty of scope for error!
                  Helen
                  Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

So it's possible that the birth occurred during or just after a reorganisation of boundaries and one of the registrars got confused. I suppose (but not enough to invest £18.50) that the informants were different.

Comment

Working...
                    X