Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows diagnostic problem

Good morning, hope someone can help.
    we have a laptop with windows vista on. hubby was on it last night on sky sports, in the middle of viewing this box popped up saying it was- windows diagnostic- and listing various problems on the hard drive and computer and to press here to fix,so hubby did and we can't get rid of it.
    I've tried to go to a restore point but it just shuts down and then restarts straight away.
    Has anyone had this problem,
    Is it fixable,
    Please help.

Oh dear, it sounds as if it was a scam pop up. My OH inadvertently clicked on one and we got "Security Tool" which was malware and took a lot of getting rid of. The very worst thing was that no spyware or McAfee could even find it let alone get rid of it.

Your's might not be so bad - have you run your anti-virus and spyware programs? Did they find anything?

Anne

Comment

Try running malwarebytes - it often picks up deep trojans etc.
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Thanks Anne, have managed to to get in by repeatedly pressing the f8 button when it was closing down, on restarting itself the Tec-guys window came up and i was able to do a restore point thru that. Am now doing a scan through micrsoft with a malicious software removal tool, scanning everything option to be on the safe side. it does say on microsoft site to do this before trying to rein stall virgin media security.
        I kept getting box saying having problems trying to start virgin please try later may be your internet connection ( wasn't that as internet was on ) or may start when you restart your computer. tried this a couple of times to no avail.
        will let you know if this tool works
        Edi.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
          Try running malwarebytes - it often picks up deep trojans etc.
          Thanks Marion H, will try this as well can't hurt, will keep you posted if it picks anything up.
          Edi.

Comment

Edi, watch out for any popups "advertising" a thing called Security Tool. Cloggie (a member of FTF) helped me get rid of it. I hope that's not what you have got. As you can imagine its quite difficult Googling for sensible information about such a name.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne and Marion have finally got it sorted. had to uninstall and reinstall the virgin media security, that scan threw up 4 that were all in Files , 3 was deleted but 1 was in archives it said had to be done by us extracting it with archive utility ( winzip for example).
              Did a scan with the malwarebytes and that found 7 and got rid of them all. good one to have.
              Thanks again.
              Edi.x.

Comment

Glad you managed to fix it - I run Malwarebytes about once a month but I also have Vipre which seems to be pretty good.
                Marion
                There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Working...
                X