Help me get further back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get further back

According to the 1851 census, William Hudson, then living in Ruddington, Notts, was born in Shepshed, Leics in 1806 (the 1841 census.....Class HO 107 Piece 863 Book 11 D6 Folio 21 Page 35, Line 7.. already has him living in Ruddington.) Can't find a birth for him in Shepshed.....can anyone help? If anyone can, please let me know where they found it, as I can't find it on Ancestry, but am new to it, so might be doing the wrong thing. His son, Thomas (the next ancestor I'm interested in) was a non conformist if that helps

Don't know if this helps but there is a William Hudson on Family Search born in Sheepshead, Leicestershire ie incorrect spelling of Shepshed.

Comment

The birth certificate of their daughter Rebecca Hudson in April-June 1838 - Basford 15 462 - would give you the mothers name if that would help?

I could nip down the road and pick it up for you ;)
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone. The one on Familysearch is my William, I think.....parents John & Ann.....but I don't know where John came from.....will have to investigate further & order a cert or two.

Tell you what you could do when you've got a minute, Chrissie.....sure there must be a kind of do it yourself DNA kit on the market by now. I'll send you the cash to get one.....should only take you a few years to cover Basford parish as it was then

Comment

Oh,...there are a few family trees on Ancestry with William on, but they don't seem to have his parents....well, one has Ann as Ann Olivant, but they haven't got John

Comment

Mmm.....the only person who has registered an interest in the surname Olivant on Roots is someone who places them in Ordsall/Notts. When I was looking at the Hudsons, there was a branch that seemed to be related to mine in Ordsall. Unfortunately, the Roots poster concerned registered 2 years ago but has never made a post, so I can't send them a message. Grrrrrr.....

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
              Thanks very much, everyone. The one on Familysearch is my William, I think.....parents John & Ann.....but I don't know where John came from.....will have to investigate further & order a cert or two.

Tell you what you could do when you've got a minute, Chrissie.....sure there must be a kind of do it yourself DNA kit on the market by now. I'll send you the cash to get one.....should only take you a few years to cover Basford parish as it was then
              1) - Well, as I said, if it's mums name you want the Rebecca birth cert is the way to go.

2) - Any suggestions on how I should approach these few thousand people Gray? Perhaps something on the lines of "OH dear, was that a fly that just flew into your mouth" and when they open it in horror I produce a little stick from behind my back, stick it in their mouth and swirl it round their cheeks

Comment

Both sound fair enough suggestions, Chrissie. Or you could go door to door & say you're testing a new toothbrush. Or, just for fun, ask them for a sample of their DNA & see what they suggest......

Tried to sound as though I knew where Ordsall was....it's up near Retford. Another branch of my family came from another village up there & I'd never heard of it either....a part of Notts I don't know at all

Comment

2) - Any suggestions on how I should approach these few thousand people Gray? Perhaps something on the lines of "OH dear, was that a fly that just flew into your mouth" and when they open it in horror I produce a little stick from behind my back, stick it in their mouth and swirl it round their cheeks [/QUOTE]

I'd definitely go for no. 2 Chrissie... would work especially well in any Asylum .......LOL
                  Olga

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                    Both sound fair enough suggestions, Chrissie. Or you could go door to door & say you're testing a new toothbrush. Or, just for fun, ask them for a sample of their DNA & see what they suggest......

Tried to sound as though I knew where Ordsall was....it's up near Retford. Another branch of my family came from another village up there & I'd never heard of it either....a part of Notts I don't know at all
                    That isn't where we come from, but my sister lives in Tuxford, my mother is in a care home in Retford and my sister-in-law lives in Retford. My mother went to church in Ordsall. My father was Rector of Gamston (between Tuxford and Retford) for the last couple of years of his life. Obviously, I go up there from time to time, and could probably get a photo of a place there if you wanted - tho' I think there's another FTF member who actually lives somewhere in that area.

Christine

PS - The Leics & Rutland FHS has some useful publications, if you find you have any number of names to research there. http://lrfhs.org.uk/
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by olga_b View Post
                      2) - Any suggestions on how I should approach these few thousand people Gray? Perhaps something on the lines of "OH dear, was that a fly that just flew into your mouth" and when they open it in horror I produce a little stick from behind my back, stick it in their mouth and swirl it round their cheeks
                      I'd definitely go for no. 2 Chrissie... would work especially well in any Asylum .......LOL[/QUOTE]

Touché Olga lol

Comment

Working...
                      X