Egan family in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egan family in Ireland

Hi, I'm new and I'm stuck. My grandfather on my mothers side was an Egan, his father, Patrick, immigrated to Australia in 1882 he was born in Strokestown,Roscommon, Ireland.
    His father was Patritum Egan married to Sarah O'Farrell.
    Patritums father was Patritii Egan married to Mariae Brannon, seems to be a bit of Roman influence in the names Patritum and Patritii.
    This is all I have been able to discover, I am hoping somebody else is researching this family and may possibly have some information they could share.
    Waiting hopefully
    Ray
    wattlewedo1@bigpond.com

do you have the irish certificates to back up your research? does the area in roscommon have parish records in existence? you could get a researcher to look them up in the irish national library, i did for my rellies in clare, unfortunately i wasn't able to get any knowledge of my family.

Comment

Patritum/Patritii is Latin for Patrick and Mariae is Latin for Mary. Most Roman Catholic records are written in Latin even these days.

OC

Comment

Hello Ray and Welcome.

As OC has said, the names are mostly in Latin on the Irish records. All mine have been.

This might help....you have to register, and I haven't tried it because I only got it in an email this morning and it doesn't have Kerry so I wasn't interested...lol

Good Luck.

Comment

Oh thanks for that reminder of that site Libby I have Egans and Walsh in my tree and sure Roscommon came up in a convo ;;

The furtherest I have been able to get back is James abt 1787 Ireland ,,, and possibly Sligo ,,
          but the Walsh line as far as I know is Roscommon and maybe that was the Egans ,,pass
          Last edited by borobabs; 17-03-11, 17:05.
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
          X