Missing g/g/grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing g/g/grandmother

As a new member I hope I am not making too much of a nuisance of myself but have another query dear to my heart.
    One of my G/G/grandmothers was married in 1839 to Edward Croxson, had four children in
    quick succession and after he died in 1847 was married less than 3 months later and as
    far as I can ascertain, just disappeared.
    The facts are as follows Her name was Sarah Fulcher B 1819 in London, Married Edward Croxson - B 1817 in Rayleigh Essex. They were married in 1839 had four children between
    then and 1843. Edward died in 1847 and Sarah remarried on December 25 1847 to Henry Churchyard. I have their marriage certificate.
    To me it would seem that their disappearance was premeditated as the three surviving children were incarcerated in the Rochford Union Poorhouse prior to the marriage.
    I have looked (naturally) at the English BDM's with no luck, emigration to various places
    like Australia, USA and Canada with no luck.

Would anyone have any idea where I may search next.
    David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

so there are no deaths that could fit?

Comment

Have you looked into criminal records? Maybe they didn't emegrate out of choice?
      Do you have the marriage records of any of the children?
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

The only Henry CHURCHYARD I could see on the Old Bailey site was a police constable in Nov 1842 - so unlikely to be yours.

Can you get at any of the newspaper archives? Those are quite distinctive names.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi
          Do you have Edward's death certificate for the address where he died? Did you know he went bankrupt in 1844?
          Could explain why the children were in the workhouse & Sarah's hurried re marriage. I think I have found the children in 1851 in the Chelmsford workhouse.
          Moggie

Comment

Moggie,
            You are quite correct, all the children were in the Chelmsford workhouse in 1851. Edward George, my g/gfather was a pillar of local society in Southend and ran a wheelwright and
            carriage building business, later becoming a garage in the early 1900's. Sidney was in the Royal Artillery for 25 years becoming a staff sergeant. Have not researched the other brother.
            Sarah's first husband was also a wheelwright but I wasn't aware that he became bankrupt - interesting. As he was only 27 yo when he died, I suspect that he became ill and could not work
            the probable cause of his bankruptcy.
            Back to Henry Chuirchyard. On the marriage certificate he was also listed as a wheelwright, (guess here) may have been employed by the Croxson family but the abrupt disappearance has
            me puzzled.
            David

David

Comment

Hi David
              London Gazette May 10th 1844. Declarations of Insolvency Edward Croxson, wheelwright Southchurch.
              The Essex Standard September 1847 Edward Croxon Deaths September 13th of Southchurch age 28.
              What I do find interesting is that your gr/grandfather from being in the workhouse in 1851 seems to have done very well for himself & ends up back in Southchurch where his father died. Given that Henry Churchyard was also a wheelwright it's quite possible that Sarah met or knew him through her husband's occupation. Have you ever thought that Sarah might have "gone off" with Henry Churchyard well before her husband Edward died & the couple were only free to marry after he had died & it may not have been her who placed the children in the workhouse but a relation of Edwards. Is it possible that Edward left a will? You could email the Essex Record Office about this.ero.enquiry@essex.gov.uk
              A couple of references to him here http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/all_resul...ntDirection=15
              Moggie
              Last edited by maudarby; 15-03-11, 22:18.

Comment

That Edward Croxson insolvency gets mentioned here, too, as a reflection of the Gazette entry: Multiple News Items .
                The Standard (London, England), Monday, May 13, 1844; Issue 6183. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Maudarby,
                  Thanks, that fills in a gap. I really suspect that the 3 boys were shoved into the poor house to get rid of them - I know that this is a hard thing to say, but have based my conclusion
                  that after Sarahs second marriage they were left there. I feel that they may have been a cumbrance to her. I also have evidence that the local council at one stage requested/ordered the boys
                  grandfather, William Fulcher to contribute to their upkeep. This possibly indicates that he was the sole surviving relative (or the only one they could get at).
                  I do not a lot on Edward George (sometimes described as George Edward) betwee 1851 and 1866 when he married in Southend. The family lived at Vulcan House on the Esplanade which I believe
                  is still there.
                  As normal parents and grandparents never seem to talk about family - which is a pity - and certainly never mentioned the unusual start to life that the children had.
                  Cheers David

David

Comment

Hi David
                    Not wishing to contradict but I think he married in Southwark. His marriage cert is on Ancestry.
                    Found this on the Seax site.
                    Sale catalogue of double-fronted HOUSE called VULCAN HOUSE, no.36 Eastern Esplanade, Southend 1931
                    Moggie

Comment

The family lived at Vulcan House on the Esplanade which I believe is still there.
                      Hi David
                      If you go to Google maps street view & put in Burdett Road, Southend on Sea it should bring you to the junction of Burdett Rd & Eastern Esplanade (B1016). No 36 is now a discount chandlery shop next door to Smithy's.
                      Moggie

Comment

Moggie,
                        You are probably right, I have his marriage cert somewhere and I put it at Southend, a wild guess and probably a bit naughty of me.
                        David

David

Comment

Working...
                        X