Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas for finding a Marriage in South Africa ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for finding a Marriage in South Africa ?

would be between 1902 and 1906 not sure if its possible to ?

Have you looked in http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Libr...olumns=*,180,0
    Also, I think it depends where they were, and their religion as well..I know there are some Jewish records for example..

Comment

Ancestry24, the South African Ancestry says this on their website -

There is no official online searchable index or database of marriage records in South Africa. However we have a growing collection of fully transcribed marriage records in our database collections shown below as well as images of marriage certificates donated by the public. (http://ancestry24.com/learning-centr...-south-africa/)

If you want to look on the website you need to subscribe - I think it is about £35 (in Rand) for a year. (£35.55 at todays exchange rate)

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Someone I know managed to find a marriage in 1901. He got the actual image from this growing database mentioned above. The miraculous thing about the marriage record was that it has the PLACE OF BIRTH of the bride and groom! Since my friend had no idea if or where in England his ancestor was born it was the vital clue!!!

Anne

Comment

Val, I can't help with tracking down certs in S.A, but my OH's grandparents were married in South Africa in 1903. Although I don't have their marriage certificate (I think one of the cousins may have this), there was a detailed announcement in the newspaper back home in Scotland, complete with nice little marriage photo.

Beverley

Comment

thanks for your replies everyone ,did try familysearch last night but may have been in the wrong section so will have a go at that link thanks ,

Comment

I found a birth registration for a child born in SA (of English parents) in the consular births.So presumably I could order a cert, if I wished. Didn't find one for his sister, though.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thats interesting Jay did look for a marriage there yesterday but not for the children will have a look for them.

Comment

Working...
                X