Help reading surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading surname

Hello everyone, i am trying to find out what the first name of the person i am tracing is. I have a marriage certificate of Joseph Ransley who married Annie Ransley in 1891 in Plymouth. Joseph was born in 1861 in Leeds but cannot find a census from before 1901. I have managed to trace Annie's family back but just cannot decipher the first name of Joseph's dad. The image is attached, if anyone can give me any possible names i can research it further, or if anybody would like more information to help them search then i'd be happy to supply more information.

Thanks in advance,
    Lee
    Attached Files

First letter looks the same as that of the surname so my best guess is Robert.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Looks like Robert to me too.
      Anne

Comment

Robert to me too.
        Margaret

Comment

Windows 7 has a handy little feature in that you can expand an image to virtually you like, and I would also go for Robert.
          david
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I dont know if you already know but if you hover over the image it enlarges ??? sorry if you already knew that ,but I only found out by accident.

Comment

Looks like Robert Ransley & John Lightfoor

Comment

I think i'd be tempted to go via route one and contact the local registrar, they will have the original document (or digitised the original).
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I think I'd go with Glen's suggestion. If I had to plump for a "normal" first name, I'd go for Robert, but I'm not 100% convinced & wonder if it might be a surname used as a first name or an unusual name

Comment

The third (?) letter from the end definitely looks like one of the writer's os rather than one of his es......could simply be a mistake, of course

Comment

My votes are for Robert RANSLEY and John LIGHTFOOT.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I agree....I read it as Robert Ransley and John Lightfoot.

Comment

Working...
                        X