Devon Military Posts circa 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Military Posts circa 1860

Does anybody know, or know where I can find, where in Devon there were military posts around 1860?

Thanks
    Sarah

Are you using "military" to mean soldiers - or any forces personnel (navy, marines...)?

Googling...
    Devon Militia

Devonshire Regiment

You might do better googling "camps" rather than "posts" for UK troops.

Anything from the Imperial War Museum? National Archives? Devonshire FHS? Devonshire Archives (Exeter, N Devon, Plymouth)?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Or Google for Devon barracks.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

It's funny how I think I write a specific question, and then find there are many ways to interpret it!

I'm trying to figure out how two of my ancestors met. She was born and raised in Crediton. He was in the REs, born London Middlesex. Somehow they met, and married in 1863 in Ireland, when she's listed as "full age" but really was just over 20 (full age = 21yrs?).

I suspect he was posted in the Devon area, and I'm trying to figure out which barracks would have been near Crediton, so their paths would have overlapped.

I'll trying googling, but would still love helps or hints.
        Sarah

Comment

She might have been the daughter of a soldier, serving in Ireland, but then a marraige cert, if you have it, should give her fathers occupation.
          Last edited by annswabey; 14-03-11, 21:37. Reason: Adding info
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I think it would have been quite unusual for a girl to go to Ireland to marry if her normal abode was Crediton. Girls usually married in their own parish - does the wedding cert state "of this parish"?

OC

Comment

Sorry, again, I have not provided enough detail:

I have her in the 1851 & 1861 census in Devon, with her father/family. Know who they are, have photos (PhotoFamily for a reason!), etc. Have the Civil Reg of the marriage in Ireland. Witnesses were not family.

I suspect she met him, and ran off with him, without her father's approval.

So, back to the original question:

Where were barracks/camps located in Devon in 1860?

Thanks

Comment

I doubt whether you'll find anything online about which regiments were where in Devon in 1860. There were so many units of RE that it would be helpful to know which he was in, but you probably don't know!

Comment

I presume you have his army documents? You will find many now online at FMP and these documents will tell you exactly where he was at any one time at whatever barracks he was in. I found all my army people from 1830 onwards at TNA Kew but it is these records that are now online through FMP. A google has already been suggested but you could also try Devon County Record Offices, Exeter being the nearest one to Crediton, to see if they can help you with regard to army barracks at that time in Devon. Your assumption on her leaving with him for Ireland to marry may well be correct and there were "camp followers" although that term usually applies to earlier army records but you could google "camp followers" to find out more about who these people were.

Have you looked at Genuki Crediton for help in your quest?

Crediton is only 8 miles from Exeter so he might well have been at one of the Exeter Barracks. Exeter would have been a draw for country folk to visit the town and so she may have met him that way. She may also have worked in Exeter?

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 15-03-11, 11:13.

Comment

The discharge papers on FMP don't give exactly where a man was at any one time. They just give a summary of service normally, ie Home for however long, India for however long etc.

Comment

No that is true, I did find mine through the Muster Records at Kew and had not checked FMP for further details.

Janet

Comment

Sometimes the military records are worth searching...

My ggg grandafther's records (which are not at Kew) have everywhere he went.....even on leave. It has him and his wife and two children going to the county of his birth to visit family. He was born Warwickshire and enlisted there in the RM in 1810. He married in Devon in 1818 and from there went all over the place.

His records are over 40 pages of huge paper (each page twice the size of A3). He only ever got as far as "Sergent" then was pensioned out by 1833. He died later that year.

Comment

It appears my ancestor did not stay in long enough to pension. REs don't necessarily stay with one Regiment. The only hope is musters, which apparently in the mid-1800s won't give parent information - which is what I need.

Thanks for your input, all. It did spur me into looking at some other geographical information.
                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X