i am trying to see what this occupation reads ,anyone know ?? thanks

Ostler - a person who looks after horses - groom or stable hand

Comment

Yes - ostler.

Comment

I agree.
        Fran

Comment

I'm always interested in where we get our words from. I found, recently, that it's from the same root as Hostelier - so to do with people who helped run hostels/hotels. Historically - when the principal means of transport was horses - or horse-drawn vehicles - the word got narrowed to mean the people who looked after the horses.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I first came across the term when reading "Black Beauty" as a child. It also featured on "Game for a Laugh" (remember that?) when Matthew Kelly went off to do some ostling.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer..

Comment

i thought potter at first, but hen saw ostler, my 2nd great grandad was an ostler in the 1890's.

Comment

Working...
                X