Help with a Marriage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Marriage!

Am looking for the marriage of John Hayes and Elizabeth?

Can see twelve in London over a 16 year period, but as I believe John to have been born in 1791 and his first child James John in 1817, I am going for the marriage to Elizabeth Grace on 13/10/1816 at St George's, Hanover Square.

How can I be certain I have the right one?

Di

You can't just based on that one piece of evidence. If you can find anything else that confirms this then maybe!
    With these very old records it is very difficult to be certain of anything all you can do is look at what you know and eliminate others where you can and then you might feel it's likely to be the right one.
    Other pieces of evidence are hard to come by unless you can find Wills, birth records etc that 'prove' this is the most likely or only option.
    Margaret

Comment

Old marriage certs are tough as they don't give fathers' names or occupations which would help to identify the right ones. Sometimes the witnesses to the marriage can be confirmation, as they are often parents or siblings of the bride/groom - or sometimes the siblings' spouses. If there's an unusual name in the family - ie the bride or groom has a rellie with an unusual name and they then name a child with that name, that can be useful too.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
      X