Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find history of local The Mug House Claines, how can I search on a building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find history of local The Mug House Claines, how can I search on a building

Our local, The Mug House, Claines, Worcester, is only one of two English Pubs residing in a Church Yard, on consecrated ground (The other is the Ring O'Bells, Kendall). It was originally a Church Brew House and dates back at least as far as the 1600s. Is there any way I can research the landlords etc? How can I set about researching a building, other than Parish Registers??

Thanks for reading, all suggestions gratefully received!

Rachel
    ukfamilyhistory
    UK and Worldwide Family History, Ancestral stories, Genealogy Research, Investigations, Tracing Roots, Adoption, Heritage - An opportunity to share stories, hints/tips and problems, in the World of Family History Research

You could find it on each census and see who was the publican at the time.
    The local library might have some information as might the local Family History Society.
    Margaret

Comment

You might find some useful links on our Inns and Public Houses page in the Reference Library.

You may have already found these two links
      Do you like The Mug House in Claines? Visit Pubs Galore, leave a review and rating. Be sure to hit the Like button and make The Mug House the most liked pub in the country.

Elaine

Comment

There are also a number of references to the Mug House on the British Library 19th century newspapers site including licence transfers and fines for incorrect measures.
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 12-03-11, 16:53.

Comment

Hello Jill Thank you, how would I find the British Library 19th Century newspapers site, tried Googling, but could not find a reference to our Mug!!
          Thanks, Rachel

Comment

Dear Elaine
            Thank you so much, indeed the Claines Friends site is excellent, run by friends from Church, I will keep going!!!
            Rachel

Comment

Dear Margaret
              Yes I have managed to find Frank Evans on the 1881 census, but is a struggle on other censuses, I just get millions of Claines entries!!!
              I will keep looking!!
              Thanks, Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                There are also a number of references to the Mug House on the British Library 19th century newspapers site including licence transfers and fines for incorrect measures.
                You may be able to get it via your local library, some counties subscribe to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
                  Dear Margaret
                  Yes I have managed to find Frank Evans on the 1881 census, but is a struggle on other censuses, I just get millions of Claines entries!!!
                  I will keep looking!!
                  Thanks, Rachel
                  You need to identify which Enumeration District it is in and then search those pages.
                  Margaret

Comment

Frank EVANS...What a great name for a man who lived in a churchyard.!

I looked for him in 1881 and noted the surname of neighbours. It was quite easy to find 1891 list which shows Charles DANIELS and his wife Florence there.

Maybe you will be able to find other years this way.

Gwyn

Comment

Hello everyone - Thank you so much for all your help, between you all, you have helped me to find all the Innkeepers/Victuallers from 1841 to 1911, absolutely brilliant. I'm now going to research around each one!!
                      Good luck with all your researching
                      Rachel

Comment

You could also try the local record office for any annual registers of licensed victuallers' and alehousekeepers' recognizances. These could take you back to mid 18th century.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil, will certainly try that - this is proving to be fascinating research!
                          Rachel

Comment

Working...
                          X