Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Census Winchester Hants

I hope I am asking in the right place.
    I've been searching for a Charles Anthony Brown/e for ages. I have tracked him down as being with his widowed father on the 1841 Census at the Plymouth Citadel. However, can't find anything else as regards his mother or what happened to him after Plymouth.
    His father Anthony James Browne originally came from Hampshire and remarried in 1844 to Martha Jannaway.
    I found the following information on LDS and was hoping someone could have a look at the 1861 census for Winchester and see if any parents or even other family members are mentioned.
    Information as to the correct record office or genealogy site to subscribe to search would be helpful even.

Many thanks.

England and Wales Census, 1861 for Charles Brown

Name:Charles Brown
    Event:Census
    Event Date:1861
    Head of houshold
    Born: Wollington, Hants
    Registration District:Winchester
    Sub-district:3 Winchester
    Civil Parish:St Peters Churchill, Hampshire
    hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Have moved your thread to Research Qs & As - hopefully someone can help you.
    Elaine

Comment

Here he is in 1871 can't see him just at the moment in 1861
      Charles Brown
      Relation: Head
      Spouse's Name: Amelia Brown
      Civil parish: All Saints Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul Town: Southampton County/Island: Hampshire
      Country: England Registration district: Southampton Sub-registration district: Southampton
      ED, institution, or vessel: 35 Household schedule number: 226
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Charles Brown 43 occupation Labourer
      Amelia Brown 42 wife born Whitchurch Hants
      William Brown 16 son born Whitchurch
      Emma Brown 13 daughter born Whitchurcn

Comment

Got them in 1861 same as above but Amelia has a middle initial of L and there is a son Arthur 5 months, who probably died before 1871.
        There is also lodger in the house Amelia Clifford age 22 married occupation launderess born Middlesex, London

Comment

Ancestry is one of the best sites to subscribe to for UK censuses and birth, death and marriage indexes

Can you give a reference for the 1841 and/or a year of birth for Anthony
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-03-11, 12:50.

Comment

Here's Charles in 1891
            Charles Brown
            Where born: Bulkington, Hampshire, England
            Civil parish: All Saints
            Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
            Town: Southampton
            County/Island: Hampshire
            Registration district: Southampton
            Household Members:

Charles Brown age 61
            Amelia Brown age 62
            Alfred Brown age 12 grandson born Notting Hill London
            James Cartwright age 36 lodger

Comment

Thanks so much margaretmarch.
              I haven't got a reference for the 1841 Census other than the Census was taken at the Plymouth Citadel, St Andrew, Plymouth, Devon. Anthony James Brown (no "e") was Clerk of Works at the Citadel and had a housekeeper Mary Wopper (maybe Hopper, Hooper or similar??) who kept house for AJB and Charles Anthony Brown then aged 13yrs. None of them were born in the county.
              As regards Anthony James Browne-he was born in Glasgow 1791 but was christened in Portsmouth with siblings 13 months later. Sometime his birth is noted as 1793. I believe all other ancestors to have come from Hampshire and Sussex.
              Is is plausible to mix up the birthplaces for Charles as Wollington and Bullington/Bulkington? I can't find a Wollington, but Wallington nr Fareham fits much better.
              If you can verify anything else, I would be very pleased. Will keep trying myself as I haven't been able to find the birth of Charles in 1828, as I am guessing it would be Hampshire.
              hscott21c

Comment

Hi Hscott, if it helps, I've had a look at the Hampshire Marriage Index, and between 1754 and 1837 only 5 Anthony Brown/es marrried, but nothing later than 1811. There is a possibility that if Anthony had been born in 1791 he could have married in 1811. The details for that marriage are Anthony Brown to Anne Alcock at Southampton St Michael on 24 Mar 1811.

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

1861 Census Winchester Hants

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Hi Hscott, if it helps, I've had a look at the Hampshire Marriage Index, and between 1754 and 1837 only 5 Anthony Brown/es marrried, but nothing later than 1811. There is a possibility that if Anthony had been born in 1791 he could have married in 1811. The details for that marriage are Anthony Brown to Anne Alcock at Southampton St Michael on 24 Mar 1811.

Linda
                  Linda

Thanks Linda for looking this up. I'll see what I can find out about Anne Alcock as the possible mother to Charles. Seeing that he was born in 1828 that would make him born some 17yrs after Anthony and Anne married. Possibly she died in childbirth then. As Anthony James Brown/e remarried in 1844 as a widower.
                  Will make another post with what I find, if anything.

Thanks again,
                  hscott21c

Comment

Originally posted by hscott21c View Post
                    Thanks so much margaretmarch.
                    I haven't got a reference for the 1841 Census other than the Census was taken at the Plymouth Citadel, St Andrew, Plymouth, Devon. Anthony James Brown (no "e") was Clerk of Works at the Citadel and had a housekeeper Mary Wopper (maybe Hopper, Hooper or similar??) who kept house for AJB and Charles Anthony Brown then aged 13yrs. None of them were born in the county.
                    <snip>
                    The 1841 reference is HO107/270 fo 7 p 10.
                    The housekeeper's surname is transcribed as HOPPER on FMP. there are other upper-case Ws on the page, and I'd agree that the initial letter looks more like H.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Here's Charles in 1891
                      Charles Brown
                      Where born: Bulkington, Hampshire, England
                      Civil parish: All Saints
                      Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
                      Town: Southampton
                      County/Island: Hampshire
                      Registration district: Southampton
                      Household Members:

Charles Brown age 61
                      Amelia Brown age 62
                      Alfred Brown age 12 grandson born Notting Hill London
                      James Cartwright age 36 lodger
                      I've just had a look on the Knightroots (Hants OPC) site, and there's no Bulkington, but there is a Bullington. Unfortunately, there are not transcriptions for that place, yet.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X