Ancestry Address Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Address Search

I no longer have a subscription to Ancestry (I'm using FMP) and a friend of mine has asked if you can search by address on the 1901 census. She knows where he ggrandparents lived but cannot find them searching by name.
    Can anyone advise please.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

You cannot specify an address on Ancestry unfortunately.
    If you are looking for someone in a village or smallish town then sometimes it is possible to search through the enumeration district descriptions to find specific roads - but it's much easier on FMP where you can just insert the address and find the relevant census entry.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine. I will email her for details and search on FMP for her.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

oops no wonder you didn't reply I hadn't noticed that you had FMP

Comment

I had the reverse of this this morning.
          Using FMP, I wanted to see if someone I've never been able to locate in 1861 census was in the Workhouse, in Gt Yarmouth, recorded just by initial.
          Because I hadn't a st address, couldn't get anywhere with FMP - tried Workhouse, Institution, et al
          Went to Ancestry and just put in Gt Yarmouth - 29,000 + hits!!
          On the first page of hits, was a double initial - clicked on that for the image, and it took me to Workhouse, page 3. Put in image 1 and up popped my man - JB, inmate, baker, 73 yrs, born Yarmouth.
          It was WONDERFUL, lol.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It might be worth bookmarking this page for future reference

Its an ongoing project to index the census addresses for 1841, 51, 61, 71 and 91. If the street you want is on there you can note the reference for looking it up on Ancestry.
            Jackie

Comment

You can also do an address, or occupation, or any keyword search on The Genealogist site. I attended a presentation on this at this year's WDYTYA show. All UK Family History Centres now have free access to The Genealogist, FMP and Ancestry as well as the Gale collection of Newspapers and The Times Digital Online. I have tried out The Genealogist at the FHC and it certainly is easier to use than FMP, with the results easier to see. I found something using the address search in a census that has provided me with evidence I needed. I had not been able to find that particular census previously using other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                oops no wonder you didn't reply I hadn't noticed that you had FMP
                Hi Val. The only reason I didn't reply was 'cos I've only just seen your message - LOL! Thanks anyway.
                Lynne

Comment

Working...
                X