Skinner from Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinner from Kent

John Skinner (born abt 1812) married Sarah Jane Smith, (born abt 1816) on 12 Oct 1834 in Halstead Kent.
    They made application for free passage dated 5 Feb 1840 no 6949 embarkation number 4208 (agents E H WARRINER) John described as agricultural labourer. They emigrated with their 2 children to Australia on the 'Orleana' from London 29 - 02 1840 via The Downs.
    Details I have about children of John Skinner and Sarah Jane Smith -
    Son John's baptism on 5 Jan 1837 appears in the Orpington parish registers (abode marked at Orpington), and daughter Sarah Elizabeth's baptism on 21 April 1839 in Chislehurst (abode marked as Foots Cray).
    Sarah's birth appears in the GRO index in the June quarter of 1839, district Bromley, volume 5, page 38. I am looking for any info at all about them before they came to Australia. This is my BIG brickwall!!!!

Do you have their Australian death certs? What does it give for their parents' names, ages and birthplaces? Which State did they settle in?

Comment

You could get the birth certificate for Sarah and that would give her parents names which you could then find (hopefully) on the 1841 census and any others until they die. You may then also get some of her siblings.
      You can order the certificate for £9.25 from here www.gro.gov.uk
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        You could get the birth certificate for Sarah and that would give her parents names which you could then find (hopefully) on the 1841 census and any others until they die. You may then also get some of her siblings.
        You can order the certificate for £9.25 from here www.gro.gov.uk
        Margaret
        They left England in 1840 so they will not be on any U.K cencus and I already know their names so i don't think Sarahs birth cert will help. I have now found that John Skinner may have been christened on 14 Feb 1809 in Chelsfield with Father Thomas and mother, Sarah.

Comment

i agree with mary, what information does it give for parents on their death certificates? and getting sarah's birth will be useful anyway, especially if she is the only one born in england you can get a cert for.

Comment

Working...
          X