Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maria Pointon Butterworth born 1873 USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Pointon Butterworth born 1873 USA.

Hello,

I am trying to find the place and any details for her in USA. Also New Zealand.

She was christened in 1874 in St John the Baptist church in Godley cum Newton. The vicar had made a note of her birth date but not where she was born. But she says on census that it was America.

Her father was Charles Henry Butterworth born 1847 in Mottram Cheshire. He was a Moulder. Her mother was Maria Pointon born 1849 Newton, Cheshire. They also had a daughter Alice Ann Butterworth born 1870 in Hyde, who must have gone with them.

They had come back to Cheshire by 1875 when a son was born there.

After her marriage to William Blanchard Stubley or Stubbleday, they emigrated to New Zealand about 1909. I am also looking for Passenger Lists for that journey and her journey home in 1920 after husband died in 1916 in Auckland NZ.

If anyone has access to Passenger Lists or some other info for my query, I would very much appreciate it if you could have a look for them for me please.

Kind regards,
    Calmar

Calmar, have moved your thread to our Research Qs & As forum where I hope some of our members may be able to help.
    Elaine

Comment

You say that Maria was born in America. Where have you found this information.
      I can see her on the 1881 census with her grandparents, but I am not really convinced that the place of birth is America. Would have helped if the enumerator hadn't scrawled across it!
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        You say that Maria was born in America. Where have you found this information.
        I can see her on the 1881 census with her grandparents, but I am not really convinced that the place of birth is America. Would have helped if the enumerator hadn't scrawled across it!
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=1202101
        Just found her on 1891 and 1901 census - both much clearer! POB America!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I have found the census info for this family but can't find the Passenger List for her parents on their trip to USA when she was born, or the return trip either.

The trouble with the voyage to NZ is the name of Stubley or Stubbleday or other variation. It has changed over time and even varied with Blanchard at one time!! But her husband was buried as William Blanchard Stubley in Auckland NZ.

Calmar

Comment

I have looked and looked but cant see anything for Maria or her parents going to USA.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Well, I suppose "America" could mean more than the United States??

I was really excited when one of my Yorkshire farmers gave Bohemia as his pob, although it did seem a bit far-fetched. However he was right, he was born at Bohemia - when I looked at Streetmap there were two farms just up the road from where he lived; Upper Bohemia & Lower Bohemia!

I was very dismissive of a reference linking one of my Yorkshire Claxton ag lab families with Patagonia (wasn't even sure precisely where Patagonia was!) However, they did indeed go to Patagonia and I found a fantastic website with details of their deaths and photos of their tombstones.

So, google, google, google.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

well you would assume 'america' reffered to the U.S. or canada. but it could mean south america?

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. She is a difficult one to find.

I never thought of South America but nothing came up for them for anywhere that I could see.

Regards,
                  Calmar

Comment

Working...
                  X