scottish census- john matheson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish census- john matheson

i've got john matheson b.1817-20, in applecross/lochcarron in the census from 1871-1901. he died in 1904, strath, inverness. he married sarah mckay on 6 dec 1866, strath. he is flexible with his age!!

1901-Living at Pier Road, Strath, Inverness.
    John Mathison, 84, born Ross-shire, retired merchant
    Sarah Mathison, 58, born England
    Dugald J Mathison, 33, born Strath, Inverness Shire, watch maker

1891-Along Quay, Inverness.

John Matheson, 78, born Lochcarron, Ross Shire, fish-curer
    Sarah Matheson, 48, born England
    Dougald Matheson, 23, born Strath, Inverness Shire, fish-curer
    Caroline Linstead Matheson, 18, born Strath, Inverness Shire

1881-Kyleakin, Invernessshire.

John Matheson, 42, born Lochcarron, Ross Shire, merchant
    Sarah Matheson, 38, wife, born England, house keeper
    Dugald J Matheson, 13, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar
    Caroline L Matheson, 8, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar
    Rebecca A Matheson, 7, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar

1871- Strath, Invernessshire
    John Matheson, 50, born Applecross, Rosshire, merchant
    Sarah Matheson, 28, born England, merchant's wife
    Dugald John Matheson, 3, born Strath, Inverness Shire
    Donald McKay Matheson, 7 Mo, born Strath, Inverness Shire
    Margaret McPhee, 17, born Strath, Inverness Shire, domestic servant

can anyone find john 1841-1861 please? i have his father and all his siblings in those census, and he is not with any of them. his son donald died in 1876, and his daughter caroline linstead emmigrated to manhattan, and is on the american census. i do not know what became of rebecca, and dugald died in 1916.

Sorry - I have had a look but no joy in finding anything
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think I might have him in Strath on his own - occupation and place of birth match and he is age 41

Pm me your email address and I will email over

Steven

PS I have found them on the 1861 census and the spooky thing is my Anderson family are also in Strath in 1861 - its an area on Skye
      Last edited by stevie2006; 11-03-11, 19:18.

Comment

thank you stevie, i hope your right. thanx for looking herky. i only knew of his existance from a family tree, as there is no baptism and he isnt with family. his marriage and death certs confirm he is mine though! he's just elusive on the census!

Comment

Hi kylejustin I have emailed over the 1861 census and I might have found the marriage of John Matheson to a Sarah McKay in 1866 in Strath and age gap matches - not a great copy but the marriage certificate gives the parents names. My credits are running low and I need the rest for the release of the 1911 Scottish census but hope it all helps

It looks like the right family

Steven

PS I can post the image on this thread if you want the forum members to help read it - let me know
          Last edited by stevie2006; 12-03-11, 07:34.

Comment

thank you so much stevie. yesi can read it, haha it takes effort, but i can make it out. i can't believe he didnt know his own age! he is 41 in the 61? which is good, but after that he is still in his 40s, and then when hes 78 he goes to 84? haha. im sure its him, as he's in strath and is a merchant. i think he is a servant in 1841 in applecross, but im not sure. i guess i will have to try and locate him in 1851 somehow, i wish findmypast would add the scottish census transcripts......or even the images!!

Comment

No probs Kyle as soon as I saw a marriage certificate it was worth the 5 credits!!!! They give you the parents names which is another generation for you to look for

I am wondering if this was his 2nd marriage as in the 1861 census he is down as married and he was older - might be worth exploring. I have booked a wee trip to Skye in a couple of months and plan to take some photo's of Strath and will send you on a couple if you like

Steven

Comment

hi stecie, photo's of strath souns wonderful he said he was unmarried in 1861, and married sarah mckay in 1866. i wish his age was consistent, id have luck finding him in 1841 and 1851!

Comment

Working...
                X