Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using BMD

Another beginner's question here:(

I've found a person who could be one party to the marriage I'm looking for on BMD. It says that if you press the page facility it will show you the corresponding partners on the same page, to help you narrow down who the party could be. I'm looking to see if I can find a marriage between a Joseph Asher & an Elizabeth (Brooks,?) very probably in Nottingham in the 1870s. On the 1901 census they've got a daughter Clara Dawson (& her husband ) living with them & she's in her 20s....the next oldest child is around 13, so I assume the children inbetween have left home.

The Brooks surname is a guess because there is a Brooks cousin living with them & I think Elizabeth probably had a different surname or the marriage in question hasn't been transcribed on BMD yet, because I can find 3 marriages for Joseph Ashers there during this period, but none of them match up with the one marriage of an Elizabeth Brooks marrying a Joseph, although, if you leave Eliz's spouses name blank, you do get a couple of other marriages for Elizabeth Brooks.

Is the only way to order the marriage certificate, or is there sometimes a "blip" in the BMD system which means that, if (as in this case) you put in the spouse's name as "Joseph), it might miss a qualifying marriage out & (for future use too), how do you use the "page" facility to find possible spouses ?

Sorry if this sounds muddled (it does to me) Must be putting some Funny Stuff in the tea here

You seem to be doing it the right way. I think the problem is that you are not 100% sure that the wife's maiden name is Brooks.
    What you really need to do is to get the birth certificate of one of the children which would show MMN.

Have you found your couple in the 1911 census - that would tell you how many years they have been married which might help you narrow things down a bit.
    Elaine

Comment

To match up first check that there are an even number of names listed when you click the page number - usually 2 male, 2 female -although for a parish where few marriages took place there might only be one couple on the page and in the early years of registration there could be up to 4 couples listed. Then to find which male married which female it will probably be necessary to try to trace the two men on the next census and check their spouses christian names. If there appears to be a name missing on the list, eg 2 male but only one female then it could be the missing name hasn't been transcribed yet (they are done alphabetically, not according to page number) or that one has been mistranscibed.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Can you give the reference of the 1901 census?
        Elaine

Comment

Presume this is the 1901

RG13; Piece: 3173; Folio: 158; Page: 18.

... with daughter Clara Morley (not Dawson!!!)
          Elaine

Comment

The Brooks cousin on the 1901 census could be a cousin of Joseph Asher, rather than Elizabeth!

There are two baptisms shown in the IGI, both probably submitted entries - one for Clara c1875 and another for Florry c1878 which shows parents as Joseph Asher and Elizabeth D. Asher. However, looking for a marriage to an "Elizabeth D unknown" doesn't bring up anything at the moment.

Edit!
            Just seen that matches with the 1881 census.
            Elaine

Comment

The "D" could stand for Dilkes/Dilks
              Marriage 1873 Dec qtr Nottingham Joseph Asher & Elizabeth Dilkes/Dilks other couple Henry Brown & Mary Jane Leech.
              Moggie

Comment

Thank you all....sorry I got Dawson & Morley mixed up (no idea why...blame the tea again). Yes, that's the one I mean, Elaine. Dilkes/Dilks does ring a bell, but not strongly enough to be sure, so I'd better order a cert. Realised Brooks could have been Joseph's cousin, but thought it was worth a go.

Comment

Joseph Asher married Elizabeth Dilks.. 05/10/1873 St Paul-Nottingham.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie.....the Joseph I'm looking at is the nephew of the one who went to Southampton (don't ask)

Comment

yep, I follow you loud n clear :smilee:
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                      X