was this normal lol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was this normal lol?

Harold Smith photograph sent to me today born born 1887 - photo is of a child aged about 2/3 years old standing on a chair barley sugar twist style with a studio backdrop of a little boat on a shore ....normal so far you may say but the child is wearing a pleated skirt - pleats evry 2 inches going right round, socks and sandals and a plain woolen long sleeved top -it is signed in pen at the bottom harold smith?

Doesn't sound right to me - in 1890-ish, toddlers were still wearing "frocks" which would be elaborately flounced cotton garments.

OC

Comment

the photo looks like a girl lol...anyone know how to convert a pdf so that i can extract the images?

Comment

I think I can just about remember how to do it Sherlock. I think I finally managed it with Microsoft photo premium. Oddly enough I don't think it worked on Adobe Photoshop 7.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just copy the image into the clipboard and then paste it into a graphics program.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Not sure exactly what you mean about the clothing, but this is a photo taken in 1885. The baby is my grandfather born April 1885. The toddler is his 2 year old brother.

Comment

Little boys were often dressed in frocks. My father's elder brother Sam was photographed aged 2 in 1914 with long curly hair and a smock. He looks like a little girl.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

" the child is wearing a pleated skirt - pleats evry 2 inches going right round, socks and sandals and a plain woolen long sleeved top "

Could this be an attempt at Scottish dress - kilt & jersey, popularised by Victoria & Albert's fascination with all things Highland?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                X