1911 census search in Torquay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census search in Torquay

I am trying to find Higher Lincombe Road in Torquay by the address search on Find My Past but the system does not bring the search up by road names. it seems to be by house names. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

The nearest I could spot was: Wykeham Lodge, Lincombe Hill Road, Tormoham, Newton Abbot, Devonshire

I had just put "Torquay" in the residential place, and Devonshire as the county, and browsed the resulting list. Are you confident that Higher Lincombe Road existed by that name in Torquay, in 1911?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well the property was there Christine. Is there any site I can go on to check the road. I tried the National Archives bit did not know where to look on the site.

Comment

I think there are three places where you can search on the 1911 - and each has a slightly different set of free info in the "hits" before you have to pay for additional detail. You can combine info in one with search boxes in another to narrow your search.

Find My Past
        Genes Reunited
        1911 Census site

I'm not sure what else to suggest at the moment.

The FMP address search has three criteria:
        >county
        >residential place (i.e. town/city)
        >street name

I don't think that FMP allows for abbreviations, so Higher, and Hr wouldn't necessarily come up in same list, even if you used "Higher*", say.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is there any chance that that bit of the conurbation wasn't called "Torquay" in 1911?

(Just found an older map, and I think that idea probably doesn't hold water! - I think that's the bit of Torbay which actually is Torquay!)

Christine

Comment

I wonder if the street name has got garbled in transcription?

Christine

Comment

Another option is to find the road on google maps and make a note of the nearby roads.
              Then put the road name into the 1911 search box on Ancestry and view the initial page of the summary book, which gives a description of the area covered.

Having said that I have had a quick look but not getting anywhere!
              Elaine

Comment

Paul - do you have access to Ancestry?
                If so look at the following pages

On the first link, look at the left hand side of the image, towards the bottom where you can see a heading of CONTENTS OF
                - looking at the second section of column 2, second line which reads ... including Lisburn Crescent, Lincombe

now look at the second link, looking at the right hand side of image,
                same section at bottom of page. column 2, second line, which reads .... Roads (Higher, Middle, Lower), Haldon Road etc.

If you flick through this summary book you may find what you are looking for.

I will try to find an equivalent link for FMP.
                Elaine

Comment

Well there is certainly a Higher Lincombe Road in Torquay now, it's in the Meadfoot area. We drive through it every September
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul in Poole View Post
                    I am trying to find Higher Lincombe Road in Torquay by the address search on Find My Past but the system does not bring the search up by road names. it seems to be by house names. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
                    You are quite right, Paul, the houses in Higher Lincombe Road have been listed by house name only with no mention of the street name. Strange!

I am unsure what info you are trying to find, and did wonder if this site may bo of any help. It's the 1911 Household and Business Directory for the area.

Comment

I don't know if the following explanation may help you with regard to Tormoham/Torquay which are one and the same, taken from Genuki.

TORMOHAM
                      "TORQUAY . . . is a handsome market town, seaport, and bathing place, delightfully situated on the strand and the picturesque acclivities of the shore of the northern recess of Torbay, in the parish of Tor-Moham, 22 miles S. of Exeter, . . Its terraces and suburban villas extend more than a mile westward, to the old village of TOR, or Tor-Moham; and such has been the rapid increase of buildings and population during the last twenty years, that they may now be considered as one town . . . . The Parish of Tor-Moham, or Tor-Mohum, comprises about 2000 acres of land, occupying most of that bold promontory which projects eastward into the English Channel, about three miles in length, and two in breadth, to Hope's Nose, the point which divides Torbay and Babbicombe Bay. . . . Torquay, which was merely a small fishing hamlet at the close of the last century, is now a large and handsome town, comprising with its western suburbs of Tor and Upton, about 9000 inhabitants. . . . The Parish Church at Tor-Moham, more than a mile west of the Quay, is an ancient structure, . . . It has an embattled tower, two galleries, and a good organ . . . C.H. Mallock, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. J.H. Harris, D.D., is the incumbent. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
                      Also known as Tormohun. A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
                      Peskett: "TORQUAY was originally a hamlet by the quay, but development from the late 18th century (the population of this parish increased over thirteen-fold between 1801 and 1851) has resulted in the town of Torquay embracing the whole parish of Tormohun and extending into the neighbouring parishes of St Marychurch and Cockington."

Janet

Comment

My great-grandmother was caretaker at St. Marychurch town hall (now an estate agents). St. Marychurch roughly equates to Babbacombe.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ooh just noticed Genuki's spelling mistake on Babbacombe!!! I did not notice it until you spelt it correctly UJ!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X