Norfolk Records Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk Records Office

They seem to have updated a lot of their online stuff. I just had a shufty and entered a search with one of my Horstead names and up came an inquest in 1826 where Edward Horstead had died when a "large wheel fell on him as he changed it" Im assuming a cart wheel or something. Well, blow me, nice to have that information to add to his record.

Oh, another one

Noah Nichols, no age given
    15 December 1825, The Trowel and Hammer, St Stephen
    Whilst at work in a marl pit belonging to John Barnes, Hamlet of Eaton, when a jamb of the marl fell on him and bruised him.
    Died in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
    Verdict: Accident.

I shall have to leave that and come back to it tomorrow - got a lot of typing to do for OH. Im just going through adding names of early deaths to the search, could take me hours But tell you what, its horrifying reading the inquest notes - lot of little kids being burnt to death having been left alone in the cottages and a lot (much more than Id thought) of people committing suicide.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-03-11, 15:47.

Heather I dont seem to have the link to that site can you put it on here please? thanks

Comment

This is the page/search Im using Val - well not using now, as I really must get on If you go to the advanced search and enter your persons name (Ive been putting in some people who have died early for my lot in Norfolk and seeing if an inquest comes up) I didnt use the simple search as the name Horstead beings up page after page of things to do with the village of Horstead. Ill have a look at that tomorrow, but no time at mo. You could try the simple search with a name?

Comment

thanks Heather now get back to work;)

Comment

Thanks Heather for the link - off for a look x
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks for that Heather. Will have a good look tomorrow.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

What do you do if you find something your interested in ,sorry got switched off head on tonight
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

"What do you do if you find something your interested in ,sorry got switched off head on tonight"

Click on the left navigation pane "order a copy" - looks like they will do the work and then invoice you. List of charges in a PDF link. 90p for A4 photocopy - is that a good price ?

I wonder if I could get a copy of this !! Or at least the last part !!

Microfilm of Memorandum book of William Brazill Bensly (b 24 Dec 1809, sworn a freeman of Norwich on 19 March 1831)
                Description Contains notes on various subjects, including dates of death of various people, elections and parliamentary happenings; household accounts, rating and rental accounts and financial transactions; lists of sermons given at Norwich churches, with preacher and text, and occasionally amount of collection, 1833-c 1837; genealogical notes of Bensly, Brazill and Davie families and of Earl of Stormont's family.

Di
                Last edited by dicole; 09-03-11, 19:34. Reason: more info
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you Diane will go back and click onto that part ;;

Comment

Hi Everyone
                    This site gives the same info as the Norfolk online catalogue & you can view the wills if you find any for your family.

Dicole
                    You may have already seen this but your William Brazill Bensly is named in the admons of a Margaret Bensly in 1845. I did notice a couple of wills for the surname BrazEll.
                    Moggie

Comment

Hi Maudarby
                      Thanks, I think Margaret was William Brazill Bensly's mother (nee Lubbock, according to IGI). Brazill and Brazell and other variations were used Interchangably, but I have a copy of a letter written by Samuel Brazill in 1835 and he used BRAZILL spelling, so that's what I tend to use, although I usually search any and all variations I can think of.

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

What I like is they have actually transcribed the wills for us now I looked yesterday for my Horsteads and they have both wills I have but fully transcribed and it makes them so much easier to read. One of my GGFx2 sisters did extremely well for herself, can only assume she was particularly clever or attractive, she married one old farmer, had one kid, husband died, she gets lots of dosh and then sets up home with another older chap in Norwich. Her exectors "and friend" includes a well known artist. She didnt do bad for a husbandmans daughter Her daughters will also leaves £100 to my GGFx2, who was an ag lab at the time, so £100 must have been an enormous amount of money to him - so glad to know he must have been fairly comfortable in his very old age - on top of the cash bequests, she also shares out whatever is left amongst all her uncles, aunts and cousins (including my GGFx2), most ag labs.

Comment

Thanks Heather

I've found a will ref and will have a look later.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had a quick look but with a name like Clarke, there are a few references! :D Am I likely to find anything on ag labs? None of mine would have left a will?
                            Lynn

Comment

Thanks for the update, Heather ... hopefully will find some new info
                              Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

I have found few things but god knows how to order out , most take me back to the 1st site ,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                                  What I like is they have actually transcribed the wills for us now I looked yesterday for my Horsteads and they have both wills I have but fully transcribed and it makes them so much easier to read. .
                                  How and where did you come across the transcribed wills, please, Heather? I peruse the site quite often and I've never come across this facility.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                  X