Brazil Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil Connection

I recall my Mum being able to speak a few words of Portuguese learned from her grandfather. She once told me that her grandfather, William Bagshaw of Horwich, Lancs, had spent many years out in Brazil and had learned the language himself.

The 1891 census shows another William, aged 7, born in Brazil but also a British subject now that the family were back in England.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to how I might be able to get more information on great-grandfather William while he was out in Brazil? I know he was a boiler-maker and that he was accompanied abroad by his wife Hannah.

Mike

was it your great grandfather or his father that went to brazil? and do you know if anyone was born there apart from william b.1884?

Comment

He was probably helping to build railways or something similar. Horwich was the site of a locomotive works.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The British library in London will probably hold all of those records.

Have you tried the mailing lists at rootsweb as you may get information from there http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...RA/BRAZIL.html
        you will have to join the list by sending an e mail saying subscribe and then when accepted you can ask your questions.
        I am on the India List and have had lots of information from them

Edna

Comment

was it your great grandfather or his father that went to brazil? and do you know if anyone was born there apart from william b.1884?
          It was my great-grandfather. I'm no spring chicken so I can see that you might have wondered..No record of anyone else being born out there.

He was probably helping to build railways or something similar. Horwich was the site of a locomotive works.
          Yes, indeed he was.

Have you tried the mailing lists at rootsweb as you may get information from there http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...RA/BRAZIL.html
          Thank you! Yes, I shall pursue that.

Mike
          Last edited by Mikronboy; 09-03-11, 12:17.

Comment

Mike,

I am researching my brother in law's ancestry; his grandpa was Harry Bagshaw born 1893 Horwich, brother of Annie 1894, plus five other siblings.

p.m. me I will give you my email address.

Glenys

Comment

Woo Hoo!

Thanks Glenys!

Mike

Comment

What wonderful news!! Brilliant stuff Mike!
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                X