1851 census lookup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 census lookup please

can anyone find mary matheson b.1840/1 in lochalsh, ross and cromarty, scotland for the 1851 census? i have her baptism in 1840, lochalsh, and i have her in 1841 with parents farquhar (1792-1883) and mary (1811-1903) matheson, and i have them in 1851, her father being a fisherman in 1841 and a farmer of 1 acre in 1851. she is on the shipping list for the new zealander in 1853 to portland victoria. she died in 1918, rainbow, victoria, australia.

i would expect she may be in service somewhere? but hope she is staying with some unknown relatives!

Hi Kyle, have you Ancestry?
    I've found her as a visitor in the town of Craig with Kenneth Matheson 54, Ann Matheson 32 & their son John 20.
    I'm not sure I understand the refs for this Scotish census but if you can't find it I'll email it to you when I get out of bed & on the PC! lol
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

i think that must be her vivienne, i descend from mary's sister isabella, and that kenneth seems to be a maternal uncle to them, his brother dugald's grandson married isabella's daughter, and they are my 3rd great grandparents!! its a complicated tree once you get back to scotland, but i have kenneth marrying anne mckenzie in 1850, with four children listed, murdoch b.1852, donald 1857-1858, anne 1855-1938, and rebecca 1860-1930. the info is from the igi and their headstone. i have not got kenneth in the census, except for 1841, when he is on the same page as mary's family, with a duncan age 35, and a john age 11. so if john is kenneth's son, he must be from a previous marriage.

can you give me the transcript details vivienne?

Comment

Email sent!
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

thanx viv. i think i have found john's birth details in 1830. his mother seems to be one mary mcrae, there is no marriage, which is expected lol. and im guessing she died by 1841, which means no burial info either. so frutrating the scots had poor records prior to 1855!!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            thanx viv. i think i have found john's birth details in 1830. his mother seems to be one mary mcrae, there is no marriage, which is expected lol. and im guessing she died by 1841, which means no burial info either. so frutrating the scots had poor records prior to 1855!!
            Just because she's recorded in her maiden name, doesn't mean she wasn't married. Scottish married women customarily retain their maiden name in official records. It's pre-1855 (start of civil registration) so you are dependent on church records. ScotlandsPeople only has Church of Scotland records (and some R.C. records) so if they belonged to some other religious order (e.g. Free Church, Espiscopal Church, etc., etc.) there will be no record on SP. You'd need to get someone to find out what records there are at the National Archives of Scotland.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i meant there is no marriage in the igi, not that they didnt marry.

Comment

Working...
              X