Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh gawd Val..lol! 'control dept tower London' I think! :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

whats that then ???? thanks Julie but not sure what that means are you ???

Comment

nope!! though I did think that it might pertain to Rats.. I dont know why, it just popped into my head, mebbe a fancy name fer a ratcatcher?
        Julie

Comment

have you found him in later cens?
          Julie

Comment

he died in 1880 Julie bit selfish of him eh ????

Comment

oh pooop, very selfish.. silly man! (not sure that he was a ratcatcher though, :smilee: it was just an idea that popped in)
              Julie

Comment

maybe he looked after The Ravens ???

Comment

Hi - Do either of these quotes make sense to you/help at all?????

In 1869 there was a major reorganisation of army supply and transport capabilities. Before 1869, supply duties had been the responsibility of the Commissariat, a uniformed civilian body. In 1869 the commissaries of the Commissariat and the officers of the Military Train amalgamated into the Control Department. The following year the other ranks of the Military Train were redesignated the Army Service Corps (ASC), officered by the Control Department. In November 1875, the Control Department was divided into the Commissariat and Transport Department and the Ordnance Store Department (which developed into the Royal Army Ordnance Corps). In January 1880, the Commissariat and Transport Department was renamed the Commissariat and Transport Staff and the Army Service Corps was renamed the Commissariat and Transport Corps. Finally, in December 1888, these two bodies amalgamated with the War Department Fleet to form a new Army Service Corps, and for the first time officers and other ranks served in a single unified organisation

Although a Corps of Armourer-Sergeants had been raised in 1858, the real history of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps began in 1875, when the Control Department was disbanded and its members (all commissioned officers) were divided between two new departments: the Commissariat and Transport Department (which later became the Royal Army Service Corps) and the Ordnance Store .

I think some of this was based in the Tower????

Good luck, Rachel
                  ukfamilyhistory

Comment

thanks Rachel I understand some of it , will have another slow read

Comment

So perhaps he was in charge of the Army paper clip and blotting paper supplies.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

that sounds about right Uncle John

Comment

Working...
                        X