Which one did he marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one did he marry?

I have found a marriage record on Ancestry for Samuel Christian Short (spelt Samule on marriage record) but when I click to see the others on page it shows two men & two women (including Samuel). Other than order the marriage cert is there any other way I can find out which one he married?

Apr-May-Jun 1907, Samule Chrisitan Short, Melton Mowbray Leicestershire. 7a 690

Others on page: Julia Violet Meadows; Beatrice Smith; Herbert Taylor

Thank you

Last edited by jadzia; 20-08-13, 04:30. Reason: Added a bit
    Ness

My first tack would be to look for the two grooms in 1911. Hopefully, you'll find one or other. Or try the two bride's names with the alternate surnames. Or the first names in combination... Or...
    But I'd be trying the 1911 census, anyway. Even if you don't have a suitable sub, you can find a lot from the various versions in combination. There's quite a bit to gleaned, even without paying.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Was Samuel aged 30 in 1911. If I've got the right one, unfortunately he is not living with his wife in 1911. He was a Coachman living with the Procter family in Lowick, Lancashire.

Jane

Comment

There is a Julia Short, also shown as married 4 years, visiting Sarah & Annie Bagshaw in 1911.

I'll look for the other couple to see if they match up.

Comment

I've found a Beatrice Taylor in Melton Mowbray, also married 4 years. Sadly she isn't with her husband either so this isn't helping a lot.

Comment

Ther are quite a few Short/Smith births after 1907 in Glanford B and no Short/Meadows births at all.

OC

Comment

According to the 1911, Beatrice Taylor, married 4 years, no husband present, had had one child who died. There is a birth in 1907 of a Beatrice Taylor who died in 1910. She may have been named after her mother, but of course this is all guesswork!

Comment

Ness,

I take it you know he died in 1917? (SCS that is) there is a tree/army papers on ancestry with him in it.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There is a Julia V Short who died in 1912 aged 29.

Comment

Lots of strong circumstancial evidence. I hope Jadzia finds it!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow you guys have been busy thank you all so much.

Yes I believe my Samuel was the one who was living in Lowick, Lancashire in 1911.
                      I’ve been off searching & have found most of the information you have all also found except for….
                      Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                      There is a Julia Short, also shown as married 4 years, visiting Sarah & Annie Bagshaw in 1911.
                      I'll look for the other couple to see if they match up.
                      I hadn’t found this one but I think that’s her…Do you know any more details like where they were living & when & where Julia was born etc. Sorry I don’t have access to the 1911 census.

I've found a Beatrice Taylor in Melton Mowbray, also married 4 years. Sadly she isn't with her husband either so this isn't helping a lot.
                      And I hadn’t found this either, but it definitely helps...

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      Ness,

I take it you know he died in 1917? (SCS that is) there is a tree/army papers on ancestry with him in it.
                      Yes that’s him Julie

There is a Julia V Short who died in 1912 aged 29.
                      Yes that fits to because her death was registered in Warwick & at the time of his enlistment into the army Samuel was living in Smethwick Staffs & he enlisted in Birmingham which I believe are both fairly near Warwickshire. I wonder if it was because of Julia’s death that Samuel decided to join the army?

Thank you all
                      Ness

Comment

I'll send you a PM.

Jane

Comment

Thank you
                          Ness

Comment

Am really interested in the post you made as I am related to Samuel through his elder brother Thomas. I have traced this side of the family tree if you need any info to complete this side of your family please let me know and maybe you might be able to assist my own research. You indicate that Samuel is your great uncle. Are you related through his brother Harry who I know moved to Canada and died in Winnepeg in 1937 ? As I live in Melton Mowbray I should be able to help you with anything you need here. I do know that Samuel married Julia Violet Meadows in 1907 as I have access to the local parish registers (up to about 1932) here with this on which is in the local library here. Regards David

Comment

Hi David, Lovely to hear from you. I was very excited to see your message I have sent you personal message. I have lots of information to share with you. Bye for now
                              Ness

Comment

Samuel Christian Short died 12th October 1917 Frances and Flanders. He was a Private, he was a member of South Staffordshire Regiment, 8th Service Battalion number 25733. He is buried in Cement House Cementry, Langemarck. lizzy

Comment

Working...
                                X