Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for this change of career ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for this change of career ?

John Smith apprenticed to a law stationers in liverpool 1871 - Indenture document signed by himself father and employer states a term of seven years.
    John was born 1857.
    After 5 years he joins the army as a private in Edinburgh??
    Signs up for 12 years - not essentially a military family and not married.
    Joins Foot regiment, serves in malta and eqypt
    Comes back to liverpool area and serves out last 4 years there
    Married Annie Cain (from Liverpool family ) 1884 during this period.

1. what was he doing joining up in scotland? - no family there at all.
    2. why enlist 5 years into a 7 year apprenticeship ?...parents both still alive....no illegitimacy known attributable to him - he also returned to this profession afterwards and his son also became apprentice to the same firm later in 1901 so he must have left on good terms .

I haven't checked, myself, but is there anything on the historical Timeline which could lure a young man away to the army in an acceptable way? - I'm thinking of something a bit like the call-up for WW1 and WW2.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know of a family member who in his youth was aprenticed to a french polisher and looked forward to a good career, but his father turned up and behind his back asked the boss for an advance on the lads wages to be paid back from his future earnings, the lad was so embarrased when he found out from the boss that he immediately went and signed up for the army, staying a full 18 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience although he had never considered this before.

Edna

Comment

Forgive me, but I'm going to ask the obvious question: are you rock-solid certain that the John Smith indentured in Liverpool is the same John Smith who joined the army in Edinburgh?
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

yes i have all his military records his wife and fathers name and later liverpool service all fit -also age etc.
          a personal diary of his also lists his military number to confirm the records
          the indenture is held by a family member and has been handed down- again all dates names etc match up -his son served with the same firm
          Last edited by Sherlockslovechild; 08-03-11, 16:47.

Comment

I've pondered this question all day and only the fact that I know you to be a thorough researcher stopped me asking the same question as Somerset Sal, lol.

Apprenticeships were absolutely unbreakable, other than by mutual agreement, which would normally involve repayment of any money which the master felt he had expended in the training. Perhaps he was a saintly man who felt that his apprentice deserved a go at being a soldier if that is what he wanted.

Really doesn't convince me, though.

(By the way, you do know of course that indentures come in two parts and a successful apprentice would have BOTH parts in their possession once the apprenticeship was finished.)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              (By the way, you do know of course that indentures come in two parts and a successful apprentice would have BOTH parts in their possession once the apprenticeship was finished.)
              *Start of lecture* The join between the two halves originally being torn and therefore jaggy-edged like teeth. *end of lecture*
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X