Gt grandfather's resting place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gt grandfather's resting place

Hi, I am looking for the death record of my Gt grandfather.

Charles Edwards
    B: 3rd May 1896 in Poole, Dorset
    M: 1918 in Poole, Dorset
    Father: Charles Edwards
    Mother: Mary Edwards (previous married surname = Batt)

I have his birth cert and marriage cert, but no clues as to his resting place.

Not sure, but about 90% that he was a patient in Herrison hospital, Charminster, Dorchester in the mid to late 1940s, (they have no record of him there though)

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, I have searched all the usual places, online and local cemetery records etc.

Thanks in advance
    Wayne

He served in WW1, I have his medal cards, he survived the war and fathered children, his youngest child was born in 1931

Welcome to the forum, in order to help we will need a bit more information.

Were the children all born in the Dorchester area? Do you know when & where his wife died?

Also we might be able to pin down a time frame for the death if we knew whether the last child to marry showed him as deceased on the marriage record - not conclusive but a clue.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      Welcome to the forum, in order to help we will need a bit more information.

Were the children all born in the Dorchester area? Do you know when & where his wife died?

Also we might be able to pin down a time frame for the death if we knew whether the last child to marry showed him as deceased on the marriage record - not conclusive but a clue.

Margaret
      Thanks for the welcome and quick response Margaret.

All the children were born in the Poole area, and Charles' wife died in Poole and cremated in Bournemouth, I have her death cert.

The last child born did not marry, but the other children's marriage certs don't mention the father's name unfortunately.

My father says his mother took him to visit Charles at Herrison when dad was about 5 years old (he was born in 1943), she told him it was his grandfather but it's very strange that Herrison and Dorchester history centre do not have a record under his name.

I have been stumped on this one for what seems like forever.

Comment

Suggsy

Are you saying that the other children who married have not given a father's name on their marriage certs? What is in the space on the cert for their father's name?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Suggsy

Are you saying that the other children who married have not given a father's name on their marriage certs? What is in the space on the cert for their father's name?

OC
          Hi, thanks for the reply.
          I have just found out that we are missing his childrens marriage certs, so I will get replacements, but have just found out that one got married in 1952 and another in 1953, now dad says he reckons Charles died sometime between 1947 and 1953 so once I've got those replacements I will hopefully see if one of them names Charles and says 'deceased', then I will know he died between 1946 and 1952/3, as on the daughter's marriage cert on March 20th 1946, it just states father's name 'Charles Edwards' no mention of being deceased.

Comment

is it possible that the children that did marry might have moved away and he went to live with them elsewhere in the country and died when living with them?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              is it possible that the children that did marry might have moved away and he went to live with them elsewhere in the country and died when living with them?
              Hi Julie, thanks for the reply.

There were two of the children who moved away.

One moved to Austria and married an Austrian lady, and the other moved to Norfolk area, I have checked that angle but to no avail, it does all point to Poole area but it seems strange why I can't find him.

Comment

the other thing I can think of is that he 'added' another name, sometimes relatives do add names to their own names even though they were not registered with that particular name.
                Julie

Comment

Yes it could be a possibility, although I know he was born as Charles Edwards, served in the Army as Charles Edwards, and got married with the name Charles Edwards, with no mention of a middle name or other name, I've tried searching 'Charlie', 'Charly' and allsorts lol

Comment

do you know where he lived? I mean what address? have you tried looking at electoral rolls for the address? presumably you have his army papers? do these shed any light on it at all?
                    Julie

Comment

Yes I know the address where he lived in Poole, Dorset at the time of his marriage in 1918 but not after that.
                      I have tried electoral rolls and Army records don't show his death record as he survived after he left the Army.

Comment

He was living in Lagland Street, Poole in 1901? and working at Winfrith in 1911?

I wouldn't be surprised if he lived a little later than had been thought, looking at the death registration for a Charles Edwards age 64 Weymouth district in 1962; that would, I think cover the area of Herrison.
                        Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                          He was living in Lagland Street, Poole in 1901? and working at Winfrith in 1911?

I wouldn't be surprised if he lived a little later than had been thought, looking at the death registration for a Charles Edwards age 64 Weymouth district in 1962; that would, I think cover the area of Herrison.
                          That's fantastic thanks for that Joy.

Yes he was living in Lagland St, Poole along with a lot of other family members over the years.

I have not come across him working at Winfrith before, do you know what he was doing there, work wise?

I will chase up the death record you have found and keep my fingers crossed it's him.

Thanks ever so much again, I will let you know when I receive the death cert if it's him.

Just for the record, his wife he married in 1918 was Rose Violet Sarah Egg (her parents were Richard and Sarah).

Regards
                          Wayne.

Comment

You're welcome.
                            In 1911 he was a Dairy Lad at South Down Farm, Winfrith, Dorchester.
                            Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                              You're welcome.
                              In 1911 he was a Dairy Lad at South Down Farm, Winfrith, Dorchester.
                              Hi Joy, thanks again for that info.

Just to be a pain, can I ask if you know how long he worked there for?
                              As I'm trying to establish if it's the same person I am looking for.

The other reason I ask is that I know my Charles Edwards joined the Army in 1914 and went to France in 1915 serving in WW1.

I have his birth cert that states he was born on 3rd May 1896 if that helps.

Regards
                              Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suggsy View Post
                                Hi Joy, thanks again for that info.

Just to be a pain, can I ask if you know how long he worked there for?
                                As I'm trying to establish if it's the same person I am looking for.

The other reason I ask is that I know my Charles Edwards joined the Army in 1914 and went to France in 1915 serving in WW1.

I have his birth cert that states he was born on 3rd May 1896 if that helps.

Regards
                                Wayne
                                A few years later... I now have what I believe to be his death certificate

However, although it does clearly state the place of death as Herrison, I am now searching for his burial place, and so first trying to locate the records of what was the Herrison cemetery in the grounds of the hospital.
                                I understand there are not many gravestones left onsite now, and is some fitness centre, but there must be a list of burials somewhere.

Comment

Hi Suggsy,

would this help at all??

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

you didn't say what year we are talking about, it might be that you will have to ring the council to see if they know who has the records [maybe local archives?]

good luck in your quest
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    Hi Suggsy,

would this help at all??

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

you didn't say what year we are talking about, it might be that you will have to ring the council to see if they know who has the records [maybe local archives?]

good luck in your quest
                                    That is excellent, thank you very much for that, although he died in 1964, that list os from 1961 apparently, however, I have just telephoned them and they do have a list from 1970, so they are going to have a look and get back to me.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by suggsy View Post
                                      That is excellent, thank you very much for that, although he died in 1964, that list os from 1961 apparently, however, I have just telephoned them and they do have a list from 1970, so they are going to have a look and get back to me.

Thanks again
                                      glad to have helped hope you get a positive result.
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X