Property near Aberystwyth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property near Aberystwyth

I'm trying to find out who owned, around 1910, a cottage in Llanfawr, Llanbadan, nr Aberystwyth. There is a thought it might be one of two people, which a relation who rented it may be related to, and could help solve quite a mystery!! ;D
    Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 07-03-11, 11:34.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Have you looked to see who's there in 1901 and 1911?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine - it's OH's family actually - and he's spent so much time researching this, but don't know that he knows that - apparently the property was consistently rented, as though it was a second home or investment property - so not quite sure how one could do that without having a name to look for at that address?
      Dorothy G

Comment

Presumably the electoral roll would show the occupier's name, not the owner's, and then only if they were entitled to a vote. It's long before formal land registration, so property deeds would be hard to locate.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

FMP has an address-search -as does the 1911 site.

I think you'll find that "Llanbadan" is actually "Llanbadarn" - you'll need that info, because the computerised database may not recognise the one from the other. In fact it seems to show up as "Llanbadarn Fawr".

I can't see "Llanfawr" in/near Aberystwyth - could that just be a contraction of the full place-name?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Fawr/Mawr means "large" in Welsh. Fach/Bach means "small".

Comment

Did either of the two known people leave a Will which might have mentioned the property?

Gwyn

Comment

Thank you everybody

I have to confess that I got the first part wrong - it is Waunfawr (not Llanfawr) and yes it is Llanbardarn.
                He's even taken a trip to see the property (last year) and spoken to the occupants now, who promised to try to help, but he's heard no more from them. It's fair trek from us, so he's hoping to get more info perhaps online.

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                FMP has an address-search -as does the 1911 site.

I think you'll find that "Llanbadan" is actually "Llanbadarn" - you'll need that info, because the computerised database may not recognise the one from the other. In fact it seems to show up as "Llanbadarn Fawr".

I can't see "Llanfawr" in/near Aberystwyth - could that just be a contraction of the full place-name?

Christine
                He's tried on those Christine. He also contacted the Welsh Archives who very kindly went through records and confirmed the place was rented to one relative from 1930 for some 20 years and to another relative for a period after that. But no records of who actually owned the property.

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                Did either of the two known people leave a Will which might have mentioned the property?

Gwyn
                He's tried but to date has had no luck in finding any.

And so the search continues.

But thank you all for your input
                Dorothy G

Comment

Does the property appear on the Land Registry? http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine - apparently he hasn't looked on that as he assumed it wouldn't show the owner in 1910?

Anyway I thought I'd take a quick look, and came up with the problem of not knowing the postcode - so went on to Royal Mail site - entered the address and they say there isn't one :(

Nevertheless from the quick look round the LR page, it only appears to show current owners of properties - do you think that's correct?
                    Dorothy G

Comment

I haven't had occasion to use the LR site for a bit. You could be right. But I had had an impression that they might have the history, too.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-03-11, 20:32. Reason: correcting typo to make sense

Comment

OH OK Thanks Christine, I'll try again
                        Dorothy G

Comment

Does the property appear on the Land Registry? http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/
                          Even if the property is now registered, the original deeds will be with the current owner. The Land Registry returns them to the owner after the land has been registered. (Did it only a few months ago for 3 church sites).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            Even if the property is now registered, the original deeds will be with the current owner. The Land Registry returns them to the owner after the land has been registered. (Did it only a few months ago for 3 church sites).
                            I reckon that the historical deeds are most likely to be with the person who did the registration. I seem to recall that we weren't obliged to pass on the historical documentation when our property was sold, because the information was all with the LR.

Christine

Comment

my grandparents bought their house in kyneton in the 70's, and the deed had the names of all former owners on it, my grandfather was very proud of it. maybe if you locate the current owner, they may be able to shed some light?

Comment

Your grandfather would have had to register the property with the Land Registry, since registration is now compulsory for all land transactions. For many years it was optional. When we bought our first house in 1967, land registration had not yet begun in that town. Properties that have not changed hands in the last 40+ years will only be registered if the owner decided to do it. Methodist churches were given a "free registration" deal last year for a limited time window.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                  Right - well he's been on to the Land Registry site (thanks Christine) as he'd got a note of the postcode - so found it, paid his money and got an extract from the Deeds issued to the current owners. (thanks UJ).

I reckon that the historical deeds are most likely to be with the person who did the registration. I seem to recall that we weren't obliged to pass on the historical documentation when our property was sold, because the information was all with the LR.
                                  Christine
                                  Certainly haven't got the original Deeds to our house, although it was built in 1930 when the whole area was virtually farmland - have an extract, similar to that above...but don't know where the original Deeds are.

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  my grandparents bought their house in kyneton in the 70's, and the deed had the names of all former owners on it, my grandfather was very proud of it. maybe if you locate the current owner, they may be able to shed some light?
                                  As I said earlier, he's been and met the present owner, who said he would help - but nothing's been forthcoming :(

Thanks again everybody.
                                  Dorothy G

Comment

maybe you need to remind the owner to take a look in the records? be a little pushy? in my experience people mean to get round to it, but run out of time, if you apply a little pressure, they may have some info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
                                      Certainly haven't got the original Deeds to our house, although it was built in 1930 when the whole area was virtually farmland - have an extract, similar to that above...but don't know where the original Deeds are.
                                      If you've got a mortgage, the lender will have the deeds, as well as there being a "charge" registered against the property. When we paid off our mortgage we got a big bundle of stuff from Northern Rock.

Comment

Nope, haven't got a mortgage now as it's paid off, but still haven't got any of those.
                                        Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                                        X