Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bailey Trial....So exciting!!!

Hi All,
    I have left a side of my family line alone for such a long time until someone made contact with me concering the sister of my 2x Grandmother Ada Butler & did a bit of research again & bingo!!
    George Warne & Emily nee Butler were both up in front of the Judge for none other that Manslaughter They were both acquitted & discharged on 12/9/1881. Can anyone please tell me where i would find the papers to this case?
    I have been told it made the newspapers & was also informed this was not the first time they had been in trouble with the law,they had 2 of their children only called Robert taken to Canada as Indentured Servants.....I have searched for this info but can't find anything......So advice please on where to go next???
    Kaz...Ever so excited to know i have criminals in the family at last!!!!!
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/ This has all the trials for the old bailey, I found the record of a member of my late husbands family on there too.

Try not putting too much info in to start with

Edna

Comment

This is the page and you can read the actual transcript of the trial here

Edna

Comment

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...arne#highlight

Ooops....to late..Lol
        Jacky

Comment

Just found some news articles about it and they failed to provide food for their 7 month old child who died from lack of food and the mother Emily was in prison for stealing a glass from a public house.
          They were living at George Street Chelsea
          Found in Gale newspapers 19th Centuary British Newspapers
          Results for Basic Search (tx (george warne))LIMITS:(ML ("Bln2|"*)) And (da (1880 - 1882))

#linkPopup { padding: 5px; background-color: rgb(172, 214, 255); color: Navy; }
          POLICE INTELLIGENCE .
          The Morning Post (London, England), Monday, August 15, 1881; pg. 7; Issue 34053.

Edna

Comment

The father had been paying a girl to look after the child and to feed it while he worked as a carman.

Edna

Comment

The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (West Yorkshire, England), Monday, August 01, 1881; pg. 4; Issue 4365.

Category: News

This one gives more information on the conditions in the house and neighbours input.

If you have not got access to these papers then try a library on line such as Lancshire Library where you gan get a membership

Edna

Comment

For access to the newspapers try: http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/...btr?id=british and use the password 'test'. I think this is the site you get via libraries, but this calls itself a 'demo'.

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/ This has all the trials for the old bailey, I found the record of a member of my late husbands family on there too.

Try not putting too much info in to start with

Edna
                  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...arne#highlight
                  This is the page and you can read the actual transcript of the trial here

Edna
                  Just found some news articles about it and they failed to provide food for their 7 month old child who died from lack of food and the mother Emily was in prison for stealing a glass from a public house.
                  They were living at George Street Chelsea
                  Found in Gale newspapers 19th Centuary British Newspapers
                  Results for Basic Search (tx (george warne))LIMITS:(ML ("Bln2|"*)) And (da (1880 - 1882))

#linkPopup { padding: 5px; background-color: rgb(172, 214, 255); color: Navy; }
                  POLICE INTELLIGENCE .
                  The Morning Post (London, England), Monday, August 15, 1881; pg. 7; Issue 34053.

Edna
                  The father had been paying a girl to look after the child and to feed it while he worked as a carman.

Edna
                  The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (West Yorkshire, England), Monday, August 01, 1881; pg. 4; Issue 4365.

Category: News

This one gives more information on the conditions in the house and neighbours input.

If you have not got access to these papers then try a library on line such as Lancshire Library where you gan get a membership

Edna
                  Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  For access to the newspapers try: http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/...btr?id=british and use the password 'test'. I think this is the site you get via libraries, but this calls itself a 'demo'.

scuda

Hi All.
                  Thanks fror the old Bailey tip i got to see the charge for kiilling their child ;D..........
                  As to viewing the newspapers i am unable to view them............Why ??? Help!!!! :(:(
                  THanks,
                  Kaz.

Comment

As to viewing the newspapers i am unable to view them............Why ??? Help!!!!
                    Do you mean the link doesn't work? or the password doesn't work? or ....?

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Scuda,
                      I don't know,sometimes i am unable to view certain pages from Poland[no idea why] & i think all the ones that were given to me are these.

Kaz.
                      :>((

Comment

I don't know,sometimes i am unable to view certain pages from Poland[no idea why] & i think all the ones that were given to me are these.
                        I'm assuming then that you can get onto the site and search, and get a selection of hits. If so, you need to know that when you try to view an image it doesn't always work at the first attempt. Sometimes the image that appears is the wrong part of the page, but if you go back and hit the view button again you should be successful eventually. Also there are odd occasions when no image appears, but just try again. I can't think of any more advice I can give, so I hope that helps.

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                          I'm assuming then that you can get onto the site and search, and get a selection of hits. If so, you need to know that when you try to view an image it doesn't always work at the first attempt. Sometimes the image that appears is the wrong part of the page, but if you go back and hit the view button again you should be successful eventually. Also there are odd occasions when no image appears, but just try again. I can't think of any more advice I can give, so I hope that helps.

scuda
                          I don't get that far,i can't even look at the sites
                          Kaz.Who's really fed up!

Comment

I don't get that far,i can't even look at the sites
                            Kaz, Do you mean the link I gave in post 8 doesn't work for you? Would someone else try that link please and let us know if it works OK (preferably someone living abroad, I suppose).

scuda

PS - here's the link again, for convenience http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/...btr?id=british The password is test

Comment

Scuda, tried your link from Spain but all I get is an error message saying link broken and giving me some alternatives. I clicked on the one that looked like your link but omitting the /itweb......etc. Then I get the login page asking for username and password.
                              Margaret

Comment

Scuda - that link is broken for me too.
                                Liz

Comment

Oh dear - I'd better not suggest that link again, although it works fine for me! Very sorry about that Kaz.

Thanks for checking, Margaret and Liz.

scuda

Comment

Hi Kaz

Just e mailed you the copy of the article in a j peg picture form so hope you can see it

Edna

Comment

Edna,
                                      Thank you!!!!! i have now got it,i have been thinking all day about it,even on the beach ..............Now going to read it,with a good cuppa tea........
                                      Kaz......

Comment

Old Bailey....Update!!!!

George Warne-1.jpg
                                        Hi Edna & All,
                                        Very great thanks goes to Edna for sending me the details of why George & Emily Wearne was up before the judge. [See attached]
                                        It's not easy reading as it's so sad :(:( but they were found not guilty..
                                        I feel so sorry for the poor Edward,i now need to know who was the crimnal after all,would it be the young girl George employed???

Why didn't her parents Robert Butler & Sarah nee Corner help? They were living in the same area as my dad used to say...'Spitting distance'' Or did Rboert & Sarah turn their backs on Emily after she got caught nicking the beer glass??
                                        She had done time before that......I think?
                                        Thanks again Edna!!
                                        Kaz.

Comment

Working...
                                        X