Great Great Grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Great Grandmother

Hi, I've been looking for info on my paternal great great grandparents for some time now, but seem to have hit the proverbial brick wall. This is what I know:

I've found a christening record for my great grandmother, Clara (middle name probably Elizabeth) Pugh, giving the christening date as 30 August 1866 in Berrington, Shropshire. Her mother is shown as Martha Pugh, though there is no father's name.

Clara married my great grandfather, William Nickless, on either the 13th or 30th September 1889 (the cert has been corrected and is unclear) at the Congregational Chapel in Forden, Montgomeryshire. She is shown as a 23 yr old spinster and again there is no father's name.

Martha, was born abt 1839 in Worthen, Shropshire and on the 1861 census is shown as a servant to the Brown family in Bin Weston, Montgomeryshire. There is also a John Pugh (aged 45) listed, so he could be related to Martha, but Pugh isn't exactly an unusual surname in that area, which is part of my problem! The 1871 census shows a Martha Pugh (again as a servant,) who could be her, though the age is slightly out. Again, on the 1881 census there's a Martha Pugh born in Worthen and listed as a charwoman, though I'm not sure this is her. The 1901 census shows a Martha Pugh living alone in Worthen and I believe this to be her, though can't be certain. She's shown as being single, so that doesn't bode well for finding Clara's father. I can find no death record for Martha or Clara.

Apologies for the long post, but any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Why dont you post the cert up here so everyone can try to decipher it for you, scan it into your photo suite then add it to the thread.
    If this is difficult to do then I am sure someone will tell you hoiw to do it properly

Edna

Comment

Sounds to me as though Clara was illegitimate if there is no name on the christening record and none on her marriage certificate.

Comment

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
        about Martha Pugh
        Name: Martha Pugh
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
        Year of Registration: 1907
        Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
        Age at Death: 69
        District: Atcham
        County: Montgomeryshire, Shropshire
        Volume: 6a
        Page: 394 (

a possible death for Martha

In the 1871 census I found Clara Pugh in Atcham Salop living /worthen/forden Class: RG10; Piece: 5621; Folio: 82; Page: 16; GSU roll: 892473. boarding with John Diggouy family and another child Pugh then next census she is working for Edward Furnival family who is also in the same area in the 1871 census, but on previous page there is a Furnival name which resembles Martha but says son and age is unclear.

Edna

Comment

Did Clara have a brother David? I've found a possible Clara on the 1871 census in Forden (where she married).

DIGGORY, John Head M 60 1811 Shropshire VIEW
          DIGGORY, Jane Wife F 60 1811 Montgomeryshire
          KINSEY, Elizabeth Servant F 15 1856 Shropshire
          PUGH, David Boarder M 9 1862 Montgomeryshire
          PUGH, Clara Boarder F 4 1867 Shropshire
          THOMAS, William Boarder M 3 1868 Shropshire

I'm wondering if there is any family connection with the Diggory family.

Comment

Snap Edna!

Comment

: Class: RG11; Piece: 5491; Folio: 78; Page: 16; GSU roll: 1342319. 1881 census for Clara but there is a Nathan Furnival who was the name I thought may be Martha in the previous message

Edna

Comment

On the above census there is on image 13 a Martha Charwoman with daughter Clarissa age 14 Worthen

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                  Why dont you post the cert up here so everyone can try to decipher it for you, scan it into your photo suite then add it to the thread.
                  If this is difficult to do then I am sure someone will tell you hoiw to do it properly

Edna
                  It's only the day that's unclear, though I think it's 13th, so I'm not too worried about that. I have it scanned on my PC, but I'm on my laptop at the moment.

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  Sounds to me as though Clara was illegitimate if there is no name on the christening record and none on her marriage certificate.
                  Yes, I suspect this to be the case.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
                  about Martha Pugh
                  Name: Martha Pugh
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
                  Year of Registration: 1907
                  Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
                  Age at Death: 69
                  District: Atcham
                  County: Montgomeryshire, Shropshire
                  Volume: 6a
                  Page: 394 (

a possible death for Martha

In the 1871 census I found Clara Pugh in Atcham Salop living /worthen/forden Class: RG10; Piece: 5621; Folio: 82; Page: 16; GSU roll: 892473. boarding with John Diggouy family and another child Pugh then next census she is working for Edward Furnival family who is also in the same area in the 1871 census, but on previous page there is a Furnival name which resembles Martha but says son and age is unclear.

Edna
                  Thanks for the death info. :D I all ready had the 1871 census info, thanks.

On the above census there is on image 13 a Martha Charwoman with daughter Clarissa age 14 Worthen

Edna
                  Yes, that's in my original post. I'm not totally sure this is her as I've never been aware of a Clarissa, but it's certainly possible.

Thank you all for your replies.
                  Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Is this Clara's husbands death? Jan-March 1917 - William Nickless - aged 50 - Forden ref 11b 262?

Do you think Clara might have married again or moved to be near any of the children before she died? I can't find a likely death in Montgomeryshire.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Possible remarriage for Clara

Clara E Nickless to Richard O Rogers
                      1923 Q4 Madeley Shropshire

Comment

And possible death for a Clara E Rogers - April-June 1945 aged 78 - Shrewsbury Shropshire ref 6a 671
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          Is this Clara's husbands death? Jan-March 1917 - William Nickless - aged 50 - Forden ref 11b 262?

Do you think Clara might have married again or moved to be near any of the children before she died? I can't find a likely death in Montgomeryshire.
                          Yes, that's William's death record. I have quite a bit of info on him, though I have another challenge with regards to his parents. I thought I'd found them until I got William & Clara's marriage cert, which showed a totally different name for the father. Genealogy is certainly full of blind alleys and wrong paths. I don't know if Clara remarried. Montgomeryshire is on the border with Shropshire, so I always have to search both.

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                          Possible remarriage for Clara
                          Clara E Nickless to Richard O Rogers
                          1923 Q4 Madeley Shropshire
                          Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          And possible death for a Clara E Rogers - April-June 1945 aged 78 - Shrewsbury Shropshire ref 6a 671
                          That's certainly a possibility, though she wasn't the only Clara Nickless in the area, which doesn't help.

Thank you all. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X