Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifeboat Louisa, paid for by Revd Wheeler of Worcester, was it named after a daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifeboat Louisa, paid for by Revd Wheeler of Worcester, was it named after a daughter

In 1899 the Lynton/Lynmouth lifeboat was dragged and carried across land to Porlock, to enable the crew to launch it in terrible weather to go to the aid of the Forrest Hall - see an article on the rescue here:

The story of this is well documented, but I am seeking information on the lifeboat, which I believe was paid for by a Revd Wheeler, and named after a daughter who had died, but am struggling to find evidence to support this! I would really welcome help with this
    Rachel
    ukfamilyhistory

You can probably find out quite a bit about Revd WHEELER if you look at the Crockford's Clerical Directories database, which is on Ancestry. There appear to be 80 possible entries for that name, but you'd be able to rule out a number of them just by the dates.

Crockfords will tell you which places he served in, and the dates he moved.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Christine
      Thank you so much, I haven't come across that, just had a quick look on Ancestry, any suggestion where abouts I could find it?
      Kind regards,
      Rachel

Comment

Wonderful found it - thanks again Christine
        Rachel

Comment

Wonder if boat named after visitors of Wheeler's in 1861, the Loscombe's, Louisa Clifton Loscombe was a fund holder for the Church in Worcester of Thomas Littleton Wheeler, Rector of St Martin's, Worcester?????

Comment

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
            Wonder if boat named after visitors of Wheeler's in 1861, the Loscombe's, Louisa Clifton Loscombe was a fund holder for the Church in Worcester of Thomas Littleton Wheeler, Rector of St Martin's, Worcester?????
            That's certainly a possibility.

Could that Louisa have been a sister, perhaps? ALthough any bountiful donor could have merited that sort of acknowledgment.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

you could try the RNLI heritage trust- maybe they would keep records, or certainly be able to find out i would have thought

Jess

Comment

Good thinking. Jess!

Christine

Comment

Thank you so much Jess and Christine, will check out both of your ideas, will let you know!!
                  Rachel

Comment

Working...
                  X