Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curly one! Births in Tipperary, Limerick, Ennis Cty Cl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curly one! Births in Tipperary, Limerick, Ennis Cty Cl.

Michael George Gleeson, Manager of Estates and his wife Ann Tierney.

I only have
    Mary b abt 1832 Tipperary
    Ann b 1939 Ireland
    Eliza b 1840 Ennis
    Kathleen Frances b 1842 Ennis - so there could be some missing.

I have estimated Ann Tierneys birth to be around 1807

Can anyone please find the marriage of the parents? I have a death for an MG Gleeson in 1849, so the children would have been born prior.

I do know that Ann Gleeson eventually set sail for Australia in 1862, and shows her age as 45 (married matron) but she may have had her reasons for showing that age.
    Last edited by jood; 06-03-11, 10:23.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

The obvious sort of place to look would be the IGI.

Where have you looked so far?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

To be honest Christine I didn't know there was an IGI for Ireland. I haven't looked too far at all, as I am not familiar with Ireland.
      jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

You will need to know the townland in Tipperary and Limerick from where your Gleeson/Tierney came from. Knowing the townland may then be able to help you to get further back. Very very few people in Ireland pre 1864 are on the IGI and almost non existent for Limerick and Tipperary. Pre 1864 and you are into parish records. Many Tipperary records go back to 1798 to include the town of Thurles from which many by the name of Gleeson came from. Few Limerick records go back beyond 1820ish. None of my Tipperary ancestors are on the IGI back to the 1790's. You also need to know whether you are looking for Catholic or Protestant records. From what I know of Gleesons they were mainly catholics though that cannot be taken as read. The good news is that the Catholic parish records are still with all the parish churches all over Ireland with copies on microfilm at the National Library Dublin. The bad news is that most of the Protestant records were deposited at the National Archives in Dublin and most were destroyed in the forecourts fire in 1922 but those that remain are still at the National archives Dublin and some of those may be on the IGI. The Protestant records can go back to the 1600's if they have survived. Many records have been filmed and put online as a pay per view at the following site:

Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

You can do a free search in the index

One must remember that not all the recrds are on here and Tipperary and Limerick are particular counties where difficulties will arise and are conspicuous by their absence!! Again I have never found any of my Tipperary or Limerick ancestors on this site.

For what it's worth I too am looking for a marriage around 1820ish for my Great x2 grandparents who married somewhere in the counties of Tipperary or Limerick and am almost giving up finding it myself after many visits to Ireland and many surrounding parishes. My last hope of possibly finding them is biting the bullet and paying for the information through the Brien Boru Heritage site in Tipperary. So far I have balked at paying out the money so I shall be interested to see if you can get any further!

One other area you could try is Griffiths Valuation (the full one, not the Index) and Tithe Aplotments and both of these should be available to you in Australia. I will warn you though that Michael Gleeson is a very popular name in Tipperary!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 07-03-11, 11:51.

Comment

Working...
        X