How can I find my dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find my dead?

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have records showing that my great great grandpa was buried by the Ohio State Penitentiary. I would like to find his grave and I want to know who I would contact to find these records. I've found a site that has a lot of pictures and names listed but many of the markers appear to have been broken or are unreadable.

I also have records showing that a relative lived and died at Longview in Cincinnati and I was told by the current place that is on the lot that they don't have records for anything. I know they have a cemetery behind the building and I would like to find out information on where he is, but I don't know where else to turn to.

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it!!

Laurie

I'm sorry to see you're not getting any replies - we're not ignoring you, it's just that most people on this forum are probably UK based and don't have information about - or access to - records in the USA. If you seek out a family history forum in Ohio you might have more luck. Sorry not to be more help.
    Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

When I was looking for info about my errant grandfather, I found a FH group based in Pinellas County, Florida. They had some very useful resources online, and were extremely helpful when I travelled over to Florida, in making sure I had all the info I needed.

I think I found them by googling.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There might be something useful on the Ohio page in our Reference Library.
        Elaine

Comment

Ohio has several active genealogical organizations. I've been in touch with other counties' societies, but I think this is the one you need for Cincinnati:
          The Hamilton County Genealogical Society (HCGS) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide educational programs to family history researchers and to preserve Hamilton County records

Also, many Ohio deaths are indexed in Ancestry, and on familysearch.org.

For gravesite information and photos, try findagrave.com. You really need to know the cemetery, however, which you may be able to derive from a DC. Find the cemetery in findagrave, create the memorial if it isn't already there, and request the photo. Hopefully, a volunteer will follow thru.

Of course, if there never was a headstone, or it has eroded into non-existence, they won't be able to help you.
          sarah

Comment

I've tried many of the Ohio resources given as well as findagrave and several other similar sites. I have a few more local resources I'm going to try, but thank you for the suggestions

Comment

Do you have a death certificate? Know his date of death? Historical Newspapers might help, I'm not sure which newspapers apply to the Cincinnati area. Or a Cincinnati Public Library. The GenSoc should be able to tell you where to obtain a death certificate.

Comment

do you know where he is buried? if you do, wouldn't it be best to contact the cemetery?

Comment

Working...
                X