Researching early 1800 businessmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching early 1800 businessmen

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding information about early 1800's businessmen? I've looked in TPW records and city directories without much success.

Thanks
    Sarah

Silly question but have you Googled? I got loads of information that way.

OC

Comment

The London Gazette can be useful for bankruptcies and the dissolving of business partnerships.

If you are a member of a library check to see if your county subscribes to any newspaper sites such as Times Online or the 19th century British Library newspapers site.

Comment

What's TPW?

Which county are you interested in?

Comment

TPW = Tin plate workers, my on-going search. The Gazette was something I didn't know about. I haven't tried google - the name is so common! But I will try it.

Thanks
          Sarah

Comment

Sarah, I've had a look on the British libraries newspaper site for your John Bidgood Mitchell mentioned on your other thread, have found nothing for him or "tinplate Mile End" though "tinplate Stepney" (Mile End's in Stepney) brings up dissloved partnership of T Waterfall & P Glass tinplate workers Bermuda Street.

Comment

I've played with the gazette now. Didn't find any Mitchell entry that I can pin to the Mitchells I'm looking for. Did find a Coverley entry I'm pretty sure is related to another branch.

Next time I'm at the library I'll check out the other Newspaper lead.

Forgot to give county - London/Middlesex. Stepney/Shoreditch/MEOT are all pertinent.

Thanks, all
              Sarah

Comment

Working...
              X