Where Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Next

One of my great grandmothers, Mary Louisa Brusey was born in St Brelade, Jersey C.I.
    in 1838. In the 1941 census it states that her father Samuel Brusey was born in the
    United Kingdom about 1796 (age given as 45 - could have been a little out as they
    only gave ages in increments of 5 years).
    My question. Is where in UK - Brusey is rather an uncommon name but I have not been
    able to track down what county he may have been born in. I have access to the parish
    records of the eastern counties Essex etc, and the southwestern counties, Dorset, Devon
    and have searched them without any luck.
    David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

HI David,

did you mean 1841 and not 1941?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

according to ancestry there is only ONE Samuel Brusey death and that is in DEVON (Newton Abbot) in 1849. Do you know when your Samuel died?
      Julie

Comment

did Samuel leave a will at all ?? if so that might help abit. it might also be that his surname got mangled, it might be BRUCE but if you look at the word and try and spell it you could end up with Bru-CEE (Brucey)?????
        Julie

Comment

Hi David - I looked on the IGI - which I am sure you would have done already.
          One that jumped out was a Samuel BRUSE bap. 30/7/1797 @ Norwich in Norfolk to a John and Helena Osborne

Do any of these names repeat themselves with any children your Samuel may have had?

Comment

Sorry Julie, finger trouble I meant 1841 censusUnfortunately, all I can say about
            Samuels' death is between 1841 and 1851 as he wasn't on the 1851 census. There
            were 10 children in the family, 8 of them girls and the two boys were James and John so
            nothing there.
            AFAIK St Brelade records are not on line. I know the St Helier ones are as a lot of my
            more immediate family came from St Helier.
            Onwards I plod. Thanks for everyones help.

David

David

Comment

David,

this is the ONLY death for a BRUSEY on Ancestry.

Name: Samuel Brusey
              Year of Registration: 1849
              Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
              District: Newton Abbot
              County: Devon
              Volume: 10
              Page: 101

You could try and see if there is an OPC for Newton Abbot, and see if they can find anything.
              Julie

Comment

using good old google:

Julie

Comment

Julie,
                  Thanks for your efforts. I would suggest that Samuel Brusey died sometime between 1844 and 1851, as his youngest child was born abt 1844 and in 1851 his wife was listed
                  as a widow. By then some of the children had also left home. John was listed as living at Chelsea, Middlesex at the time of that census. Presumably some of th girls may have been
                  in Jersey but married by then, certainly one of them (my g/g/grandmother)
                  I have been told (by long forgotten sources) that the famil probably came from Devon and I have noted a few Bruseys' in the Newton Abbot (Teignmouth) area, so will concentrate
                  there - hopefully there is an OPC that can guide me further.
                  Cheers David

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                    In the 1941 census it states that her father Samuel Brusey was born in the
                    United Kingdom about 1796 (age given as 45 - could have been a little out as they
                    only gave ages in increments of 5 years).
                    In 1841 the enumerator was supposed to enter ages following certain guidelines -

Person Age .....Recorded as

15 - 19 ..........15
                    20 - 24 ......... 20
                    25 - 29.......... 25
                    30 - 34 ......... 30
                    35 - 39.......... 35

Those under the age of 15 and over the age 39 were to be recorded as true ages. Sadly, we all know that these guidelines were not strictly adhered to : )

Nina

Comment

Working...
                    X