Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible change of birth name? Can I run this by you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible change of birth name? Can I run this by you?

Reginald Yates is present as a 3 week old baby on the 1911 census with parents Samuel and Matilda (nee Howard), but has no apparent birth (or death) registration. There is only one male child registered in Wolstanton district (Stoke on Trent, Staffs) in the Mar qtr of 1911, a James Yates who is present on the 1911 census in Wolstanton as 2 months old.

Similarly there is only one male child registered in the second quarter in Wolstanton called Clarence Yates, for whom there is death registration in Sep-Dec 1969 which gives a d.o.b of 13 Mar 1911. The 1911 census was taken on the night of 2 April. Clarence would have been 2wks and 6 days old, or 3 wks on the following morning. Is this a case of parents changing their minds about a name? The deadline for registering him would not have been until into the next quarter anyway. What do you think - a possibility? Worth buying a birth cert for?

Kate x

I have got some children baptised with one name but registered with another ?? so anything is possible

Comment

did you notice the name Reginald is in a different coloured ink ? its as if the name was an afterthought .

Comment

Yes, I've got the original image, it does look different to the other writing - much paler, almost pencilled in. And looking closer it's in the same ink as the signature and enumerator's section, and the ditto marks in the birthplace column. How's this? Samuel and Matilda fill in the schedule leaving a blank space where the first name would be. The enumerator calls to collect the form and perhaps goes through it with them and they suggest a possible name. He also makes the ditto marks in the birthplace section and then hands the pen to Samuel to sign the form (I know Samuel was literate from other sources). When you read the enumerators declaration section the third point is "After making the necessary enquiries I have completed all entries on the schedule which appeared to be defective, and have corrected such as appeared to be erroneous"

I'm talking myself into believeing this was definitely a change of thought!

Comment

or how about Samuel decided on the name and after the enumerator had gone he and his wife argued and she changed his mind ?

Comment

I'm liking your theory lol! It would almost certainly have been Samuel that the enumerator dealt with, yet I suspect even in those days it was more likely the wife who had final say on a child's name especially after the first of each sex (as was the case here). Ooh it's so tempting to order that birth certificate, but money is so tight right now I really can't justify it. Have changed my tree and annotated accordingly though. There is just so much evidence I can't ignore it completely.

Comment

Australian procedures may very well be different to that of the UK but my mother stated later when I was old enough to understand that my father registered me as Victor Leonard and
              after my mother was well enough to leave hospital she marched (figuratively) down to the registrar of births and had my name changed to David. Apparently there were marriage difficulties
              and some months my father left and returned to Jersey. A remarks column on the birth certificate merely says Çolumn 3 should read David, instead of Victor Leonard'and is signed by the
              registrar of BDM's - I assume that the certificate was altered before it got out into the public domain.

David
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

One girl in my family was registered by the father at birth and called Matilda.Three months later the father registered the death of this child who was then called Maud.
                Fran

Comment

My great grandafther registered his 6th child as Gertrude.......forgetting his 4th child was already named Gertrude.

He did like a drink...........lol

Comment

thats funny Libby

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      thats funny Libby
                      I bet the Gertrudes didn't think so!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Kate

You could always ring the local register office and ask them to check father's name, saying you aren't sure if its yours. They might tell you.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I could but Stoke T office are not known for their friendliness to geanealogists unfortunately! I'll try the tip of ordering from the GRO without exact references but putting all the info I have in the checking box - that way I'll only get it if it's the correct one. Not an easy way round now they've removed reference checking from orders with the GRO numbers, but the only one I know that works (assuming you're sure of the info of course!). I know to be 100% certain I need that cert, but I see no other explanation for the evidence so far, but a registration under a different name.

Comment

Working...
                          X