Purperal fever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purperal fever?

If someone died of this, would I be right in thinking that as I cannot find a stillborn child or a live child, that it would've been caused by a Miscarriage or Termination?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I depends when the death took place - prior to 1927 stillbirths were not registered - in addition entries on the stillbirth register are only available to parents or siblings of the child if the parents are deceased. So it could have been as the result of a stillbirth or late miscarriage, but I don't think the term would be applied to a termination.
    Helen
    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thanks Helen, the death occured of the mother in 1891 due to Purpureal fever, her burial is listed and within the burial books are numerous stillborn burials, but nothing for her though, (these are listed as stillborn child of Mr & Mrs XXXX) If there were a child I would expect to see it there, but I have found nothing. This is what is leading me to think that it was a miscarriage or possible termination, though I am leaning towards the miscarriage theory myself.
      Julie

Comment

I suppose the stillbirth could have been missed off the register - especially if the baby was buried with the Mother. I presume the other stillbirth burials were recorded because the mothers survived and the clergyman was keen to record each burial. It could be interpreted a lot of ways and you may never be able to find out what really happened - frustrating but all part of family history. I often wish I had a crystal ball to answer all these sorts of questions.
        Last edited by Helen Henderson; 04-03-11, 13:00. Reason: correct spelling
        Helen
        Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Hi Julie

Remember my Emma Jane Newbury? Her Mother died from puerperal mania and from the research I did at the time it can "attack" just after the birth or even a couple of weeks before, which I suppose means that the baby would never be born.

This complaint attacks women after childbirth. The most common time for it to begin is a few days, or a week or two before delivery; more frequently among those who are recently confined. The danger d...

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Henderson View Post
            I suppose the stillbirth could have been missed off the register - especially if the baby was buried with the Mother. I presume the other stillbirth burials were recorded because the mothers survived and the clergyman was keen to record each burial. It could be interpreted a lot of ways and you may never be able to find out what really happened - frustrating but all part of family history. I often wish I had a crystal ball to answer all these sorts of questions.
            Hmmn maybe, there are others though sometimes it will say that two people (siblings) are in the same coffin & grave and I am pretty sure that I have seen mother and child in the same grave too, this burial book seems to be a goldmine of info, if only others were as informative. :smilee:

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
            Hi Julie

Remember my Emma Jane Newbury? Her Mother died from puerperal mania and from the research I did at the time it can "attack" just after the birth or even a couple of weeks before, which I suppose means that the baby would never be born.

http://chestofbooks.com/health/gener...ral-Mania.html
            ~~~~ to Tom, yep I remember, :smilee:

is just annoying though that I cant find out whether she did or didnt lose the child...grr, presumably I will just have to make a note of it and let it rest.
            Julie

Comment

I have the same, Julie, a woman who died of puerperal fever but no trace of a child.

I'd assumed it was a stillbirth and not recorded (although you do see 'stillborn child of...' in the burial registers, it always seemed to me there were not enough to account for all the stillborn children there must have been). Perhaps it depended on whether the Vicar bothered to record it?

Comment

Puerperal mania is a mental disorder caused after the birth of a child. Puerperal fever affects the mother, not the baby. It is caused by infection. After the baby is born, where the placenta breaks away, leaves an open wound for a while where infection can be introduced.

It was a very common cause of death until the realisation was made that washing your hands before touching women in childbirth was a good idea.

There's a novel I read last year about a Scottish doctor who first theorised about this, but a much later doctor Sammelweis is generally credited with ending puerperal fever as a cause of death.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There is a marvellous book about Semmelweis and his discovery/cure that I read years ago - remember thinking it was ' dull & deadly ' for the first 2 or 3 chapters then reading it in bed until about 3.00am as it suddenly became fascinating ! Unfortunately I cannot remember the title or author !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Puerperal mania is a mental disorder caused after the birth of a child. Puerperal fever affects the mother, not the baby. It is caused by infection. After the baby is born, where the placenta breaks away, leaves an open wound for a while where infection can be introduced.

It was a very common cause of death until the realisation was made that washing your hands before touching women in childbirth was a good idea.

There's a novel I read last year about a Scottish doctor who first theorised about this, but a much later doctor Sammelweis is generally credited with ending puerperal fever as a cause of death.

Thats the thing Nell, I cant find a Birth for any child born to her.. which is what made me think that she had miscarried or had a termination, though I cant see the latter applying, she already had a son and had been married for over a year.
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                      There is a marvellous book about Semmelweis and his discovery/cure that I read years ago - remember thinking it was ' dull & deadly ' for the first 2 or 3 chapters then reading it in bed until about 3.00am as it suddenly became fascinating ! Unfortunately I cannot remember the title or author !!!
                      was it this one BC?

Julie

Comment

I had Puerperal fever after my first baby was born ,seems I had miscarried a twin and the other afterbirth got missed, I almost died as it was missed for so long, wont go into details but I was very lucky.

Comment

blinking heck Val... a sad story, but am glad that you recovered! :smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

I recovered Julie but dont think I was ever normal again ???

Comment

Slightly irreverant of me, but seeing the title Purperal fever, I thought Scarlet fever only purple! I'd never heard of it before though
                              ~Val~

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                I recovered Julie but dont think I was ever normal again ???
                                maybe not, but we still love you! :smilee:
                                Julie

Comment

As I recall, the main organism causing puerperal fever is Haemolytic streptococcus group B, this is also implicated in neonatal death, so it could easily be that the child died at the same time.( the baby catches it from Mum on it's way out!) I can understand your frustration at not being able to find the record though.
                                  As far as I know women are routinely screened for this bug now in their ante-natal care as with the advent of antibiotics it can be dealt with.
                                  Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Sue,

I have her death cert and have seen the entry in the burial book for the cemetery, nothing, no mention of a child, none to be found. I'm now wondering if she did miscarry and that part of the placenta was left behind and this caused the fever. Don't suppose i'll ever know really, is just frustrating that I cant find any ref to a child.
                                    Julie

Comment

i wish you luck julie. wasn't this the cause of death for jane seymour?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        Sorry, no. This one looks 'academic ' where mine was written more as a novel If I ever solve it I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X