Searching tip for london marriages on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching tip for london marriages on Ancestry

I have often been frustrated by searching for an individual and only finding the banns not the marriage on Ancestry when searching the London marriages. I then decided to search for the other half of the couple and lo and behold the marriage came up, when I looked the other half had been mistranscribed by Ancestry and that is why it didn't come up ie

Archibald Hogg married Mary Burrows I only got the banns, when I searched for Mary Burrows marrying an Archibald I got the marriage and Hogg had been mistranscribed as Rogg!!

This has happened to me several times and each time once I know the other half of the couple I search for them and 9 times out of ten the marriage comes up...........and strangely enough it is not always mistranscibed but comes up under the other name!! Just thought I would share in case it was useful to someone!!
    KAREN xx

Thanks very much, Fuzzy.....I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll find that useful

Comment

that is a very good tip, one i have used many times.

Comment

Yes a very good tip & the first way I try.
        Another is to click on the church & scroll through, page by page, I have found several this way but it can be very time consuming with a large congregation.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

That is a useful tip - thank you. Am I alone in being slightly irritated that a lot of the transcriptions were done by people who don't understand the difference between "married by banns" and the banns themselves? A lot of the records listed as "banns" are actually marriage registers.
          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Yes! The banns and marriage registers seem to be labelled randomly in some cases. I was doing a (very lengthy!) One Name search. I found that if you hover the mouse pointer over you get a little image of the register - with experience you can tell if the picture is showing a banns or marriage book and save opening it if its just the banns!

In defence of Ancestry's transcribers ..... the name I study is EAST. Of course in many old registers it is written EAFT, but the transcribers managed to index nearly all of them correctly as EAST, for which I was very grateful!

Anne

Comment

Sometimes I've found mistranscribed surnames. I tend if I can't find a marriage to look using extra detail as the father's first name and leaving the surname blank, which has helped.

My favourite so far is James Agnes McCarthy, whose first name was Julia. Anyone with a brain who transcribed that would think "hang on, Agnes is a girl's name and she is the bride, it can't be James!"
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

LOL Nell!! I know I have had several boys turned into girls and vice versa
                KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                X