Excel grid lines - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel grid lines - help please

I am trying to create an A4 page of squares or very similar shapes to make a suitable chart to use.

I need it to look something like a Maths Exercise Book page.

I have both Grid Lines and Print switched on in Excel but they only print out if I have them full of content otherwise I get a blank page. I use Vista and Office 2007 Home & Student.

I am certain that I have done this in the past on older versions of office. Have I missed a check box? Or maybe I can download a suitable chart any advice please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

You have to set the print area because it won't print gridlines around empty cells by default. If you follow the instructions here it should work (particularly the bit under "Next Steps").

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

If that doesn't work you could try adding borders around the cells - the advantage of this method is that you can select the thickness of the border you want
    Jackie

Comment

Hello Jackie,

Thank you for your help. The MS link was very helpfull but did not work for me. The quick way was to use borders and I only needed to do a small block then I used Copy and Paste until I got the result required. I have saved it as a template.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Jackie

I find the easiest and quickest way to get the effect you want is to put a full stop in the lowest, furthest right cell of the page. Yes it will show when printed, but hardly noticeable. Remember if you insert extra lines your full stop will need to be deleted and repositioned.

Regards

Helen K

Comment

I wonder if Lindores' trick would also work if you insert a space in the cells - not an empty cell (which is what you start with and also what you get when you delete a cell's contents)?

Another way of getting a page of squares would be to create a Table in Word. There are pros and cons to each method.

Comment

Working...
          X