Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth's abroad,registered at British Embassy

Hi All.
    I have a family member that lived abroad & when his children were born he registered their births at the British Embassy,so does that mean the children are English,even thou they are born in another country or do you still have to register the birth in that country?
    Thanks,
    Kaz.Rather puzzled
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

If one or other parent is a UK citizen, the child is a UK citizen. The child should be registered in the country of birth. If that country is in the British Empire / British Commonwealth, they have the option of registering it at the High Commission. If a "foreign" country, it has to be registered at the British Embassy and should appear in the GRO Overseas Index (free to view on familyrelatives.com and FMP). My brother was born in Nigeria when it was still a UK colony but my parents didn't bother to register it at the High Commission.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There is a downside.

Even if you are born in a British forces hospital to British forces parents, you are entitled to a British passport only because your parents (or grandparents) are British. I believe that the Empire was frightfully worried that {shock! horror!} some subaltern might engage in an inappropriate liaison with one of those awful foreign women and then try to pass off the child as British. The possibility that a foreign woman or her child might be an asset to our nation didn't always occur to those in the positions of power. Even today (so far as I know), those rules have not yet been rescinded, which means that my "immigration" to this country must be part of the statistics for immigration from the middle east.

Third generation forces children are at a real risk of becoming stateless, as are those children of (e.g.) engineers whose work might take their families abroad... and bring good revenue into the UK.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        If a "foreign" country, it has to be registered at the British Embassy
        It certainly isn't compulsory to register the birth at the British Embassy. If the child's entitled to citizenship of the country where it's born, it can be (and usually is, I think) registered with the authorities of that country.

My son was born in Italy, and his birth was registered with the Italian authorities, not the British embassy. However, he still has a British passport.

Comment

Hi Uncle John,
          Thanks for this info,it has made it a lot clearer now,
          Thanks,
          Kaz.

Comment

Hi Christine,
            Thanks for this info,i didn't think having a child born aborad could cause problems to the then 'British Empire'
            Kaz.

Comment

Hi Mary,
              Also thanks for this info,my son is actually going through this with his girl,their child will be born in Poland but will also have a British Passport.....I just hope it's going to be a lot easier to sort out the birth in the UK than in Poland :>))
              Kaz.

Comment

Working...
              X