Old family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old family tree

I have a family tree that was apparently proved by a 1623 heralds visitation to Dorset.
    The tree contains 15 generations and using the usual interpolation means that the original
    member was born somewhere 1200. Unfortunately the tree gives no dates of birth or death
    but it is states that the tree was compiled (and proved) by deeds.
    What I would like to know if possible is what sort of deed would these be. Apparently the
    deeds are kept in the Harleian library (which I believe is part of the British library). Is it
    possible to access them in any way?
    I am of the opinion that the deeds probably refer to land leases/tenures etc.

David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Don't know the answer to your query David, but as I have one of those trees also, will watch this thread with interest.

Beverley

Comment

First be wary of Heralds Visitations, some heralds were prone to amending a pedigree to please the gentleman concerned.

Documents such as inquisitions post mortem , fine rolls, manor court rolls, custamals, relief rolls, estreat rolls etc.
      Be aware that such early records may be in latin or Norman French and are often difficult to read.
      Many medieval documents are available at the County Archives or the National Archives or even in the British Library or various other libraries such as the Bodleian, Lambeth Palace and various university libraries
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy,
        Nothing much has changed has it? There is a site called medieval genealogy which has a lot of information on line taken from various royal rolls on which I have
        managed to find a couple of references which appear to tie in with what I thought was the correct age. This site is a grind however and takes much time in order to
        go through it properly. I also have found sites on the web which as far as I am conerned are plainly wrong. More on that subject in due course.
        Cheers David
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
        X