Windows firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows firewall

I've been thinking of installing the free Avast Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes on my laptop and have been wondering if the Windows firewall gives enough protection.
    I understand Comodo is a good free firewall so perhaps I should also install that and turn off the Windows one?
    Any comments welcome.

SK,
    I dont'know what system you are using but if it is windows 7 the firewall comes as part of the package. You also have to remember that a firewall is not a
    virus stopped but is designed to stop hackers and malware either getting into or out of your computer. Avast will probably be of value for anti virus protection.
    I currently use Norton, (not free) which upto a couple of years ago slowed up the computer dramatically but they apparently redesigned it and it does not appear
    to slow the machine down now. At one stage I had another anti virus program as well and with the both working it did - took my computer several minutes to settle
    down after switch on in the morning. For an explanation (better than I can give) click on the link below.
    David

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

David, thanks for your reply.

On my PC I run XP SP 3 and my laptop runs 7.
      Until two weeks ago I used Norton IS for the last 6 years without any problems and recently decided to use their 360. When loaded onto the PC it caused puter to crash big time and required a visit to my computer techie. The second attempt to load 360 went so far then computer crashed again between installation and activation. I didn't try a third time and even managed to get a refund from the retailer because there was no activation.

Now I'm wary about installing NIS 2011 in case it crashes too although I was happily using the upgrade to 2011 since October last year until my subs ran out 2 weeks ago.
      I find Avast V.6 very effective as is Malwarebytes - it's just a lingering unease about my firewall. From reading your link I get the impression that Windows firewall for 7 does more than the one for XP.

Avast has a paid Internet Security Suite so I might opt for that instead of going back to Norton.

Comment

Kate,
        One of the local computer gurus always recommends avg anti virus programs which are free. My only comment would be to say the probably all anti virus programs these days
        will do the job, I have stuck with Norton probably because I am lazy but it has never let me down. One of these days I will probably get sick of paying for updates, so then will come
        time to change. Likewise the firewall. Have not had a problem after using W7 for over a year so can only recommend it. Presumably as with XP SP3 the wall can be turned off if you
        wish to use another firewall, but once again as it is part of the W7 suite I have just used it.
        David
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Kate, I recently installed NIS 2011 on my PC and laptop (I bought a 3 user licence) and have had no problems at all. Tesco have it on offer at the moment.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I've had more arguments about the Windows firewall than I care to remember.

All the Windows firewalls don't block outgoing connections by default. XP couldn't anyway.
            The Vista & 7 ones can, by default don't, and are difficult to configure.

"By default, Windows (7) Firewall with Advanced Security allows all outbound network traffic. If your organization prohibits specific network programs on organization computers, you can help enforce that prohibition by blocking the network traffic that the programs require to operate correctly.

By default, inbound network traffic to a computer that does not match a rule is blocked, but nothing prevents outbound traffic from leaving a computer. To block the network traffic for prohibited programs, you must create an outbound rule that blocks traffic with specific criteria from passing through Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Alternatively, you can change the default outbound action to block, and then create outbound allow rules to allow required traffic."

Gain technical skills through documentation and training, earn certifications and connect with the community

The decision is whether you think your other defences will stop anything infecting your PC. If they do then a powerful firewall like Comodo will likely block it. It's a second line of defence.

Many say that if your PC is infected you have already failed. That's true but it doesn't stop the malware emptying your bank account.
            Comodo might.

I do all my shopping/banking in Linux Mint so have no axe to grind.

One of the problems was outgoing firewalls were so intrusive, you were deluged with initial pop-ups.

I recently tried Comodo in Windows and was pleasantly surprised; it seems to recognise lots of programs as safe.

How safe do you feel ?

Bob
            Last edited by Chipesh; 03-03-11, 17:02.
            I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Lorry, thanks for your reply.
              I was running NIS 2011 as an upgrade for the last 4 months of my subs with no problems - in fact it seemed faster scans etc than 2010.

Bob, thanks for you input re firewalls.
              I installed Comodo om my PC with XP and apart from needing to allow Avast functions it hasn't been as obtrusive as I remember Zone Alarm was some years ago. I was surprised when Comodo reacted to a couple of my installed programs (Irfanview and PAF ) when I was using them off line but it was easy to indicate they were trusted .

Although Comodo indicates all systems are active and running it shows very few instances of blocking anything - I assume this means all is well. I think I'll run with it for a while longer.

Comment

Working...
              X