What's happened to my FTM 2006?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happened to my FTM 2006?

Up until the last couple of days, whenever I clicked on the FTM 2006 icon to open the program, it went straight to where I left it the last time it was open - so. if I'd had myself up on the screen last time, that is where it would automatically open. Now, for no apparent reason, it opens with a blank window and the "Open Family File" box where I then have to click on whichever tree I want from my files. THEN it opens where I left it last time. As far as I know I haven't changed any settings so why is this happening and how do I get it back to behaving in the way I'm used to? It's a little thing but it is annoying me - and I don't like it when things on the comp start having a mind of their own!

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

That would normally happen if you have opened a file which is kept in a different place to the norm. It might occur if you have received a gedcom file from a contact which you may have placed on the desktop or a different place to your normal location for the files.

When you instal FTM and start with your first file, FTM notes which folder you have stored this in. When you close the file it will save a new copy of the file as well as a backup copy in the same folder. Next time you open in FTM it goes straight to that folder to open the file you had open the last time you used the program.

It might be worth checking that your files are all being stored in one location and that you haven't got any odd files located on the desktop or elsewhere.

... and always open the program/file by clicking on the FTM icon on your desktop - never by clicking on the .FTM data file
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine...although I'm not much wiser! I have just run a file search and all my FTM files are in the folder called FTM files on the C drive that I made years ago when I installed the program. What I do remember doing a few days ago though was attempting to save a backup of my tree directly from the program to a USB key. I have tried this before and it didn't work but I thought I'd have another go (it didn't work again). I plugged in the key,went to File>Backup and clicked Change but nothing happened. I guess it DID change something but I don't know what or how to get back to how it was.

Ann
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Saving the backup to another location shouldn't cause a problem. What causes the problem is opening a file which is saved in a different place to the norm.

However, I can't see why you are now having an ongoing problem. When you open FTM, point it to the folder where your data files are kept, select the file to open, work on that and then close it, the program will save it in your "normal folder". When you open FTM the next time it should immediately reopen the last file that you had open and should not need to ask you to point it to the right folder.
        Just try opening and closing one of your normal data files a couple of times to see if the problem persists.
        Elaine

Comment

I've just opened it to try what you suggest...and it opened where I left it last night! Problem solved it seems but not because of anything I've done!

Thanks for your help Elaine.

Ann
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
          X