Any ideas on how I can find out more about this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on how I can find out more about this

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...chTerm=Stephen Smith Norfolk Island&searchLimits=

It relates to my gggrandparents Stephen and Mary Smith
    PAT

Norfolk Island was a penal colony. It sounds as though there was a mass breakout in 1846, so you should be able to find more by googling.

Comment

Have you seen this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
        Yes that was my cousin's post
        PAT

Comment

Ah, sorry

Comment

If its more information about the mutiny there is quite a lot of info to be found by Googling. (I tried putting Stephen Smith overseer Norfolk Island and several sites came up)
            Jackie

Comment

I know all about the mutinyand I know that Mary and her children got an assisted passage back to Dublin. I am more interested in what happened regarding the money that was granted to her.
              PAT

Comment

What were you hoping to find out? It tells you in the article how much money was donated and exactly how it was invested and when it was to be paid out.

If they moved to Dublin, I imagine they could have made arrangements for the Australian insurance company to send the money there, but I doubt if you'll find any surviving documents.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-02-11, 23:15.

Comment

In 1849 the colonial government was run by the Colonial Secretary - there are some indexes to correspondence to and from his various departments and ordinary citizens, but it is only on microfilm or microfiche (by name) at the NSW State Records Office - you would have to visit in person.

I will be going out to the SRO, but not for several weeks yet. If you like, I could look in the indexes and see if there is anything relating to the payment.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                  X