Portland Prison, Dorset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland Prison, Dorset

My ancestor Robert Henry Harding who had been an ironmonger, joined the Royal Artillery as a gunner in October 1891, he left the RA, but I think was a reservist, but went as a Prison Warder to Portland Prison in October 1903, would this be usual? Anyone have any links to Portland prison at this time or information on the prison in the early 1900s?

Thanks, Rachel
    http://ukfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com/ - for information on Robert's police officer, father and grandfather!!!

It was not unusual to find an army person going into a prison as a Prison Warder especially in places like Portland which probably dealt with army prisoners at the time you at re talking about. My Grt G father was in the army and discharged to North Lincs Militia in 1872. In 1876 he went as an Assistant Prison Warder to Millbank Prison in London. Millbank dealt wiith army prisonesr at this time. Have you tried googling Portland Prison+1903?

You could also try Dorset CRO

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 27-02-11, 20:15.

Comment

Thank you so much, I thought maybe this was the case, Google not very helpful, but have a great postcard of the outside of the prison dated 1904, with Prison Guards, from Ebay, will keep looking.
      Kind regards, Rachel

Comment

Not usual and still happens today. Many ex-servicemen are welcomed into the police and prison services. They possess many suitable transferable skills.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you so much, this backs up further what I was thinking
          Rachel

Comment

Look up the Verne Citadel Potland 1847 a prison.

Comment

Originally posted by salty View Post
              Look up the Verne Citadel Portland 1847 a prison.
              This is very interesting, thank you. Unfortunately one of my forebears wasn't a warder: he was a prisoner! He was convicted of trying to forge a cheque in 1849 at Maidstone, was in Portland Prison in the 1851 census and then transported to Australia in 1852-3.
              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
              X