I've hit a goldmine.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've hit a goldmine.....

went up to my grandma's for the weekend to unwind, and found myself in her shed browsing through her stuff, when i came across an old photo staring at me in a shoe box. i recognised the name of the photographer, discaciati, as a man who who photographed my family in the 1890's. well in pulling out this photo, a massive rolled up paper bundle fell out too.

well i took the box and bundle inside, and what did i find? photo's from the 1860's to 1960's, of my entire matheson family. photo's of my 4th great grandparents, their siblings, nieces and nephews down to great grandchildren born in the 1940's of my 4th great grandparents siblings! distant cousins on all branches of both matheson lines! photo's of pets, homesteads, family groups, individual portraits.

i also found solicitor's letters regarding probate, letters, post cards, xmas and new years cards, doctor's notes, and original copies of wills dating from the 1890's, which were later edited, as people who were to benefit died before the owners of the wills. early drafts you'd call them i'd say. there were probate files, receipts from lawyers and banks, bank books, cheque books from the early 20th century. absolute goldmine, and grandma had forgotten she had it!!! i've still to locate an old massive family tree done on a big piece of paper, but i know it's there.

haha i know this is the tip of the iceberg though, she had a massive cabinet full of family history documents before she moved a few years ago, and i know there is more in the shed. i just wonder what!!

Wow, lucky you. What a wonderful find.
    Elaine

Comment

Wow, fantastic Kyle, I'm green with envy.;D
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Oh - that is just wonderful - what a find. I am very pleased for you. You must keep it safe for future generations.
        Now all I want is one wee pic of my g grandad!!!
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Wow, what a treasure to find. You lucky thing.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wow.......what a find....and maybe more to come!

I'm chuffed for you.....
            Jacky

Comment

Fantastic. Lucky you. I have only 2 old photos of any of my family. I'm envious (but in a nice way) lol

Linda

Comment

That's the stuff that dreams are made of, nice find!

Comment

Wow lucky you. Rescue them all quick from the shed.

Janet

Comment

You're so fortunate to have got to them before the termites did!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lucky You! What a great find. And UJ is right - a good thing they've been found by someone who'll make sure that they're protected for future researchers of the tree.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

WOW!

How wonderful to find so much family history!

My eyes are green but they have gone a brighter shade of green now.

You must be 'over the moon'...I know I would be.
                        teresa

Comment

Lucky you...at least they were found by someone who appreciated their importance...I am SOOOOOOOO envious !!!! Enjoy all the info it will give you, especially those precious photographs....

Margaret.
                          Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                            Wow, fantastic Kyle, I'm green with envy.;D
                            ditto!!!
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I am betting that grans shed will soon be the cleanest tidiest shed in the road, but I hope the roof is well protected too and all that documented evidence from your family background is all legible and dry as a bone.
                              Well done for finding it all and hope that you soon have it all transcribed for the future generations and all electronically copied and also offer the local record office some of the details of the find.

Good Luck with it

Edna

Comment

Edna has a point.

When we found a more modest cache of historical docs in clearing out my parents-in-law's house, we made digital copies and gave the originals (on permanent loan) to the local Records Office in Plymouth. That way, we reckoned, they'd be properly conserved, and not at risk from the vagaries of being in a normal household, and subject to fire, flood, damp, moth, burglary/vandalism, careless tidying...

They'd also be accessible to other parts of the family who might otherwise not find out about them.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's excellent and probably what most people dream of finding. My dad's cousin found a couple of really old photos recently which he sent on to me - amazing to see some people for the first time

Lucky you and fingers crossed for others to find the same

Steven

Comment

Oh I would do bad, bad things to find such a treasure! You are fortunate indeed, enjoy and savour all the pleasure it will give

Comment

it's really been wonderful. the information is immense. i have been thinking of the records office. i havn't seen these kind of documents there, but i assume they would.

Comment

I must say how wonderful to have...........But i am also green to the gills .....Congrats!!!
                                        Kaz.
                                        "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Comment

Working...
                                        X