Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does to clean/cleanse a grave mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does to clean/cleanse a grave mean?

At least I think that is what my sister said she was told!

My sister contacted the local office where burial records are held to find out where someone was buried and struck lucky. He is buried in a cemetry not far from where she lives, there is a headstone and she was given names and dates of those interred in the grave. During the conversation the lady said the grave had been cleaned/cleansed. Now she may have said when but I don't have that info at the moment. What does that mean please?

I have a 2nd cousin visiting from the States next week. Her Gran and my Grandfather were sister and brother.

I had already found some relatives of her Mum, but had been chasing another brother that family were adamant was born in Dundee and died as an infant also in Dundee.

Last week I found his death, 4 years out on their dates which probably why I missed him in the past. Still cannot find his birth.

Chris will only be in Dundee for 1 day, so sis plans to try to find the grave beforehand just to speed things up on the day. Cameras will be charged!!

Off to set up a tree for her grandfather.
    Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Is it possible that the lady said that the headstone had been cleaned? If so the headstone may have been removed & taken away for cleaning & I'm sure you need permission to do this.
    Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie. No it was definitely the grave.

First interment was 1873 and the last 1924. I think there are about 8 names on the stone, several of them children. I'm not sure how many spaces there are in a lair and whether it means that either older remains were removed to make room for newer ones, or perhaps they were reburied deeper to allow others on top!
      Sheila

Comment

Looks like it may be something specific to Scotland.

"One interesting practice carried out by lair owners was that, when the lair or lairs became full – 3 adults was the usual for one grave – they had the grave cleansed. That is, it was dug out to a depth of about 8 feet. The old remains were then re-interred and covered with earth so that a depth of 6 feet was again available. This practice was also used in other cemeteries."

Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Chris, thank you so much for that. It makes sense and perhaps as quite a few were small children they were able to 'rearrange' the remains to allow for a few more.

I'll note that website and look at it later in the day. It will be interesting to share with my sister and 2nd cousin whose family history it is.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was scrabbling on the floor putting together a tree for Chris. I had forgotten just how long it takes to trim and join the pages.
          Sheila

Comment

Hi Shelia....
            My Paternal line all worked in lived in Cathays Cemetery in Cardiff for 92 years..I have heard this mentioned by my dad before,they also did this if
            1) A coffin was exhumed...
            2) Or they were once a different religion & took another faith.
            Hope this helps...
            Kaz.
            "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Comment

Working...
            X