Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haylett family - police in Norfolk also seeking information on Robert a Prison Warder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haylett family - police in Norfolk also seeking information on Robert a Prison Warder

Seeking information on Robert Harding Haylett born 1873, a Prison Warder at Portland, Dorset, I have checked the 1911 census!
    Robert's father Henry and Grandfather, also Robert, were Police Officers, see their stories on my blog:

Thanks, Rachel
    ukfamilyhistory

Hi Rachel - what else are you trying to find out...

Comment

Have tried out what your local library service offers?

Hertfordshire has the Times Digital Archive and the C19th British Library Collection available from home; as well as Ancestry.com if I visit my local library (and book a computer time-slot).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Naomi
        I was wondering whether it is possible to get Prison Warder service records, Robert followed a line of two Police Officers, so interesting he almost followed in their footsteps! Interesting too that he moved from Norfolk to Dorset, quite a stretch, excuse the pun!!!! I also wondered about his family, his wife Lily was from Dorset.
        Kind regards, Rachel

Comment

Thanks Christine, I might try writing to the prison too to see if they have records but we may be talking less than 100 years so they may be reluctant to share service records, the problems of 20th century research!!!
          If ever your Bennett research links to Lincolnshire, let me know, have links there!
          Kind regards,
          Rachel

Comment

If ever your Bennett research links to Lincolnshire, let me know, have links there!
            Thank you, Rachel.

At the moment, I think there could be Lincs connections, but only transient ones... that I haven't found yet. In the 1911 census, my great-grandmother (Hannah BENNETT, née BOOTH) was long-since widowed, but (helpfully) listed her children numbers: total born alive (10), still living (6) and dead (4). From that I know that I have not got a full list of siblings for my grandfather: I have only four altogether. My great-grandfather (George BENNETT) was a labourer, which means that the children were born all over the place. My great-grandfather, himself, was born in Leicestershire, but his children were born in Bolton (Lancs ~ 1871q4), Masham (Yorks ~ Nov/Dec 1873), Glossop (Derbys ~ Nov/Dec 1880 - or possibly Jan 1881) and Handsworth (Birmingham ~ Mar 1887). The marriage was in Tipton, Staffs (14 Dec 1862).

George, himself was born in Leics, but some of his older siblings were born in Bradford, Yorks.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Christine
              My lot were Lincolnshire through and through, Alfred Slater Bennett, a Farmer 1882 from Parson Drove and then Fleet, near Holbeach, good luck with all your research
              Rachel

Comment

Thank you, Rachel.

Good luck with your hunting, too!

Christine

Comment

Robert Henry Harding joined the Royal Artillery in October 1891, as a Gunner - leaving there on 16 October 1903, and moving to Portland Prison as a prison warder, but I think staying as a reservist, would that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
                    Robert Henry Harding joined the Royal Artillery in October 1891, as a Gunner - leaving there on 16 October 1903, and moving to Portland Prison as a prison warder, but I think staying as a reservist, would that make sense?
                    I would think that's very likely. On leaving the forces, trained military personnel are usually kept on the Reserve list... they don't take so long to train up if there's an emergency.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X